Sound Deadening... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2002, 12:11   #1 (permalink)
Kerazy S Pak

Sound Deadening...

ILS im sure youd be great at helping me with this, but anyones/everyones tips would be helpful-
What steps can i take to increse the sound deadening in the EA?
Looking at EB-D and EF-L mirrors, they look to be more solid and possibly could help, has anyone put EB/L mirrors on?

Ive heard that EB2-D had foam filled A and C pillars, does anyone know what the go is with that?

With reagards to the insulation under the hood, would it be a good idea to get new stuff, and is there better than late 80s era insualation out there?

And finally with regards to the firewall and snd deadening, would it be possible (with the dash out) to make any improvements down there?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2002, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Sp33dY

u want to make your engine quieter?? WHAT THE ?
Old 04-06-2002, 12:19   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

OK let's see...

Firstly, I have installed EB mirrors which fit without any troubles and spell the end of my wind noise problems (I could have fixed the old mirrors by installing some kind of 'gasket', but I prefer these ones anyway).

The newer models did have foam-filled pillars, but my understanding was that this was in the interests of body rigidity. The EF dropped that feature but had further improved rigidity nonetheless.

You can get insulation from places like Jaycar - I suppose the general rule is that thicker is better. The only reason I haven't upgraded mine yet is because I"m afraid of doing a bad job. Maybe I should use the KB Laser as a guinea pig again...

I'm not as sure about the firewall, but I would be interested in slightly better/thicker roof lining and floor insulation myself when I get around to it.

Hope this helps.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 12:30   #4 (permalink)
Kerazy S Pak

Thanx ILS, but I was wondering-had u 'fixed' the EA mirrors, would they have been as quiet as the EB ones? Im not really sure about the look of the EB mirrors (aesthetically) but their smaller size, and the fact they 'feel', tighter/better put together makes them seem superior.
Old 04-06-2002, 17:03   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Actually the EA mirrors are derived from the XF based on my observations (though not necessarily interchangable - it just seems the cover is identical). The EB ones were actually designed to compliment the rest of the car.

It's a bit laughable now, but I used to put some tape around where the mirror cover joins the rest of the unit, which dramatically reduced wind noise. Beyond major advances like that, even the best mirrors in the world wouldn't do that much for wind noise. I removed my driver's weathershield which would have helped.

Still, I am reassured that I don't have to worry about the mirrors again. Another thing - the new ones make about a tenth as much noise as the old ones when the motors are in operation.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 04-06-2002, 17:09   #6 (permalink)
-

ive bought some of the jaycar sound deadening matting. its a tar substance with an aluminium foil/cardboard/plastic sort of backing. around $12 a roll. i used it under my back seats where there was no deadening (s-pak) and it made a huge difference. 3 sheets did the whole area. i stuck it on with spray glue... its under the seats anyway so it wont be moving. i noticed my brothers EBII fairmont had some there, so i tried it... and it was worth it.

my next idea is to try inside the boot (again copying the EB) or around the centre console - to quieten the noise from the old 3spd.

i also wanna try eb mirrors, but i cant source them cheaply - i dont even want electric ones! new door rubbers made a big difference for me too, but theyre pricy (i think $40 each or so). i only did the fronts and want to do the back soon.

just my 2c!

Jase
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 17:25   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I thought the rubber thingy was one piece on each side of the car?

Hmm when i think about it, I think I might just get some Jaycar stuff and shove it anywhere where it will be out of sight to see if it makes any difference.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 04-07-2002, 21:21   #8 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Re:sound deadening

Hey Jbloger how are you?With your sound deadening does your car have a sports exhaust on it or is it standard.If it does how much has it reduced then dron and or loudness??I think the boots of EB's (Fairmonts mainly )have the same floor mat but they do have the insulation in the side of the boot where the jack goes is that right?

CYA Lukey.

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:33   #9 (permalink)
-

Re: Re:sound deadening

i only have my last resonator removed, so i didnt notice much with the exhaust. it killed a lot of road noise though. the EBII has a different carpet matt with sound deadening felt on it, and a tar like substance on the skin of the boot floor which is painted over.

ils: there are door rubbers and wind lashes. the windlash (weather strip) goes along the top of the car where the door presses against it. the door rubber goes around the edge of the door.

cheers
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:33   #10 (permalink)
Brent79

Re: Re:sound deadening

Speakin of EB mirrors, has anyone notice that the later model toyota corolla's have identical EB-ED mirrors?

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech