Sound System Buffs - Advice? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2002, 04:16   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Question Sound System Buffs - Advice?

Two questions:

1. Wiring Runs in AU2 Falcon
I have to run at least four heavy duty cables from the front of the car to the rear boot space. I guess a hole will be needed in the firewall. Where should it be, or is there a place to do this already?

2. Speakers
I have the premium sound in my AU2 XR. I have spoken to a car stereo place and do not want to cut doors etc. They have suggested Focal 5 inch splits for front doors and parcel shelf as a good upgrade. Pricey though! ANy feedback?

Thx,
Pete.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2002, 04:24   #2 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Mate, talk to Mr Stereo (Nipper), he usually has good answers to our audio questions.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:35   #3 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

firstly, premium sound, pfft! crap ass sytem from ford, better then average, your actually gettin 13RMS from the unit to each speaker itself, claiming probably in the 40-60w rms it says on packaging and stickers etc! :) (found this out thru readin carefully thru it etc!)

that was on the ef/el's! .. the new ones, well im guessing its not too much better!

www.hifidirect.com.au will giveyou an *IDEA* of what you can get, the prices arent to bad, but if your interested in shopping for car audio, MLC in liverpool are fairly good.

My recomendation..

2 x 10" clarion/jvc/blaupunkt subs (dual voice coil or single)
( why10's? less weight, punchier then 12's.)

pioneer horn 6" split (new one they have, very nice!) or jvc/blaupunkt OD series)

front, once again, jvc/pioneer or clarion (Even alpine).

running 2 amps, a 4 channel amp for the 4 speakers in the car .. at least 50rms x 4, and a 2 channel amp for the subs :)

Thats just personally what i'd do and have done before several times and always sounds right and daaaaaaaaaamn loud!
fUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
Aus ls1 *********

Dont put splits in the rear. The front of the car is where you want your staging not the rear. Use a good quality set of splits in the front (focal are good and expensive deending on model) and a set of 2 way coaxials in the rear for fill.
Not sure on wiring location for your four wires. Why 4 wires anyway. Run 1 single 4 guage wire and use a distribution block if you need more. Remember to fuse the wire nice and close to the battery and also use an earth wire at least the same size preferably biger than your power wire. The last is the most common problem with home installs.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:30   #5 (permalink)

Re: Sound System Buffs - Advice?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Two questions:

1. Wiring Runs in AU2 Falcon
I have to run at least four heavy duty cables from the front of the car to the rear boot space. I guess a hole will be needed in the firewall. Where should it be, or is there a place to do this already?

2. Speakers
I have the premium sound in my AU2 XR. I have spoken to a car stereo place and do not want to cut doors etc. They have suggested Focal 5 inch splits for front doors and parcel shelf as a good upgrade. Pricey though! ANy feedback?

Thx,
Pete.
why do you need to run 4 wires for the engine to the boot???
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 05:44   #6 (permalink)

You could probably run the wire under the car, and might be lucky enough to find a hole somewhere in the back half to run it up. But i doubt it, and even if there was one it wouldn't be big enough for 4 wires. If you were to do this, you would have to make sure that it is heavily protected, as you don't want it to start bearing live wire. As hrt 8 has already stated make sure you have a fuse as close to the battery as you can. Can't stress this enough. Esp if you run the wires underneath the car. Could use a circuit breaker even. Also use the same thickness ground cable, and have this as short as you possibly can. Ground it in the boot somewhere. If I were you, I would run a single 4 guage(maybe 2 gauge) wire to the boot(having the fuse right near the battery) and then have a distrubution block in the boot which has the 4x4 guage wires coming out of it. simple hey???

Cheers
Matt
Old 03-14-2002, 06:06   #7 (permalink)

just run one 4 or 2 guage wire though the firewall to a distribution box in the woot, which you would be able to run 4 smaller 8 guages from the dizzy box to the things you wanna run.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:01   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fUSiON
firstly, premium sound, pfft! crap ass sytem from ford, better then average, your actually gettin 13RMS from the unit to each speaker itself, claiming probably in the 40-60w rms it says on packaging and stickers etc! :) (found this out thru readin carefully thru it etc!)

that was on the ef/el's! .. the new ones, well im guessing its not too much better!

www.hifidirect.com.au will giveyou an *IDEA* of what you can get, the prices arent to bad, but if your interested in shopping for car audio, MLC in liverpool are fairly good.

My recomendation..

2 x 10" clarion/jvc/blaupunkt subs (dual voice coil or single)
( why10's? less weight, punchier then 12's.)

pioneer horn 6" split (new one they have, very nice!) or jvc/blaupunkt OD series)

front, once again, jvc/pioneer or clarion (Even alpine).

running 2 amps, a 4 channel amp for the 4 speakers in the car .. at least 50rms x 4, and a 2 channel amp for the subs :)

Thats just personally what i'd do and have done before several times and always sounds right and daaaaaaaaaamn loud!
if you pete want a quality system, i would really go for some of these products, pioneer is ok but jvc etc arent. Head unit, yeah alpine, clarion, if you can afford it, eclipes. As for the speakers, good choice focal are good, another good brand is boston. Rear fill isnt really needed but its upto yourself. Subs ill go for, alpine DDD's, Jl W3, MTX, etc. For SQ ill go for MTX, PPI, PG and few others cant think of others:) If you want good bang for your buck you can go for alpine, they are really good for the money you pay.
Old 03-14-2002, 14:28   #9 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Pete,

I agree with snavy about the wiring... if you are really serious about setting up a kick ass system run a 4 guage, from the battery to a splitter box, and then 8 guage from there to the amps / stackers.

I have 8 guage running all the way through my car (I will be upglading soon) 1 from the batter to the splitter box beside my seat... then there are 2 cables running sideways... to the stacker under my seat, and the amp under my passanger seat. Another cable then runs to the boot to the other amp.

As for the speakers... take a CD of your music to the store, and play it on EVERY SPEAKER!! see which one sounds the best.
I did that for a couple of weeks, before deciding to get the jaycar response speakers. They are extrememly good speakers. (they usually rank between 1st and 3rd in tests on speakers by car mags such as street machine, hot 4's etc etc)
Old 03-14-2002, 14:37   #10 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Pete,

As your probably aware now stereo systems are something that not easy to get good info on as everyone has their own preferences and music tastes. Therefore i'm not going to suggest brands or anything because that my personal opinion. Kelli's idea is good, but once it's all installed in a car the accoustics are different and it wont sound the same as in the shop. Your best bet is to take it one further and try catch up with people and listen to thiers in the car to get a better idea. You can put splits in the back if you wish, but you in the front wont get any real benefit from it, just the people in the back. I agree with what everyone else is saying about the wiring too, there's no need to run four from the battery, only one is required there.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech