Spark Plug Residue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2001, 15:00   #1 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Question Spark Plug Residue

I replaced my spark plugs yesterday (changed from NGK to Bosch super 4's) and noticed that the front 3 cylinders had a reddish residue all over the are within the combustion chamber. The back 3 cylinders had a greyish colour, with a very smell amount of red material.
Never seen anything like this before. Anbody got any clues??

btw I run mostly on LPG, with about 1/2 running on Petrol (std unleaded) every 2000Km. Gas system is an Impco, and I have a pod air cleaner sitting behind the Headlights. Car is a 95 XG XR6 with about 130,000K, and the headgasket has been replaced about 5000K ago for the second time.
Driving style is not agressive, and mostly country driving cruising between 110 and 140.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2001, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
Australian ED Fairmont Member

My ED fairmont is also on gas and the spark plugs seem to be covered by the same reddish deposit you are talking about. What the hell is it?
lsd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 04:27   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I'd suspect an upper cylinder head lubricant something like (and perhaps even) Red-X. The same thing happens when In I add Red-X to my normal fuel car and I suspect a gas powered car might need something like that.
Old 12-16-2001, 14:30   #4 (permalink)
A Ford Guy

Re: Spark Plug Residue

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
..... noticed that the front 3 cylinders had a reddish residue all over the are within the combustion chamber. The back 3 cylinders had a greyish colour, with a very smell amount of red material.
Never seen anything like this before. Anbody got any clues??

I've seen this on some taxi's running on LPG. It sounds like you might be suffering from a bit of valve recession (this can happen on gas) The red deposit is probably small (minute) bits of iron oxide (rust) from the erosion of the valves and their seats. Check (and keep track of) your tappet clearances to see what's happening, they'll close up with recession.

The only reason I can think that it's different from your front and rear cylinders is that the mixture might be different from the front to the rear and some cylinders are running hotter.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Lightbulb

Thinking about this, I've had a thought (frightening but true).
Doesn't LPG have a dye added to it so that leaks can be seen, if thats the case, the front three cylinders may be running cooler, and not burning the dye off???

To all others running gas, what sort of consumption figures do you get?
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech