spark plugs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 05:22   #1 (permalink)

Question spark plugs

hi i changed my spark plugs in september last year i have a fiesta si and its started misfiring , we changed the fuel filter because it was clogged we have checked the spark plugs and ht leads and the sparkplugs are brown. does anyone know why they need changing so soon. its a 1.6 16v zetec engine. thanx.
tasha si is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 17:45   #2 (permalink)
Funkyeah

Re: spark plugs

Id be guessing here cause I havnt looked at the plugs myself, if you have replaced the plugs in september last year id be looking at the timing and or how the leads are put on eg no1 to no1 etc secondly if the plugs are brown but not fouled with carbon deposits and electrode looks clean id say thats ok. Its when the plugs got a white powdery appearance or has black shit eg oil and carbon thats when you look for other problems more serious ones.Id suspect wrong lead config or if its running a dizzy, rotor cap or dizzy cap arcing or carbon tracing. Possibly and I say possibly a lifter lock nut has come undone casuing vavle to shut or almost shut causing car to pigroot. make sure you go over the spark plug gaps with feeler gauge to be sure they are right gap whatever that is maybe .5 of a millimeter or as great as 1.5mm. Clean them up with a wire brush and make sure you torque them up with a tourqe wrench if available. Because a loose plug can cause the engine to hunt and missfire like no tommorrow, the copper gaskets maybe stuffed if the plugs have been overtightened. You may need to replace them anyway, if you replace plugs remember its only an aluminium head it takes very little torque to overtighten the plugs. Anyway ive crapped on long enough
Old 04-05-2005, 16:34   #3 (permalink)

Brown isn't bad.
Here's a link on what a good spark plug looks like. Which one do you think yours is?

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html

If you do a lot of city driving, then then can foul up a bit. Give your car a quick flogging and check the plugs again!

Are there black carbon deposits or oilt build ups?

Are all the spark plugs the same condition. Usually if one is different than the others, it could point to a problem with that cylinder. (plug/injector/lead etc).
Old 04-05-2005, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
Funkyeah

Nice link there true blue id agree, that it looks a bit to hot on fig 23 onwards. Thats what no1 and no6 looked like on the old ute when i pulled plugs out last night.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:07   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: spark plugs

thank u that info has helped alot im useless wen it comes to cars hehe.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:09   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: spark plugs

thnk u for the info its been really helpful i know nothing about cars.hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech