Spark Plugs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2001, 06:22   #1 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Spark Plugs

Ok, seems i've got a problem with the new set of NGK plugs in my XR8. Just wondering what spark plugs everyone uses and what you set you gaps to????
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2001, 06:38   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes come to think of that.There are two lengths.I have a/m alloy heads and swapped the plugs over & had a low speed miss, [cold] even done a dyno run through the xr club.Found out that they are the wrong lenghth way too short,I needed the plugs for sprint, way better performance and economy.. ngk's. forget what part # is..platnum ?? $$$
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 02:51   #3 (permalink)
Chromed Member

Get the Platinum NipponDenso plugs from ford dealer!

They are actually in a motorcraft box..

P.S bring chequebook.:D
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 21:20   #4 (permalink)
"Tickford- Own the road"

Thumbs up Spark Plugs

In response to your plugs for ya EL XR8, best on the market in terms of mileage, spark, and resistance to temp (from fanging) is NGK BPR5FS-15. Gap them to 1.4mm. They are a V grooved type plug. Happy revving
tickford5400i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 23:20   #5 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Come to think of it I've got a slight miss at idle on my 250. I know the EFI plugs are different, as they penetrate more into the combustion chamber.. Would it be worth maying more $$$ in the hope that it *might* get rid of the miss? Its a next-to-new Veale motor btw..
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

I did have NGK plugs in it that were only a few weeks and i changed them with motorcraft ones and the miss got worse. A bit more investigation found the connection on coil where the lead goes on was corroded and the resistance on that lead after cleaning it was too high (the leads where top gun 8mm cost $90) and all the other leads are stuffed. You can touch them with your hand and see sparks but it doesn't zap you. Having to much resistance in my coil lead and the spark needing to go somewhere broke down to coil stuffed it (you could only see the sparks coming out it was completely dark. So i know have a new plugs, leads and coil and it run sweet.

Anyone with a pre AU V8 and needs a coil be prepared for their jaw dropping price!!! They retail at about $260......good thing i get dealer price from Ford!!!!
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 17:38   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

OK so what sparkplugs would fit Trickflows T/Wedge heads at the mo im using the standard ones for an EDXR8 motorcraft sumfink sumfink any ideas????

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 21:00   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Plugs for Twisted wedge..

Actually I have been meaning to as that on www.brothersperformance.com or [url]www.corral.net [url]
The plugs I have now are the equivilent to ngk with this campion number RS7YX6 the old ngk that are too short are BPR5FS they are both tappered I'm not too sure if they should be the washer type? But they all said to me they are the right one's hth
Old 09-30-2001, 05:13   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Plug length

svo 302:: checkout the length of your plug.Plug is too short.Compared to std iron heads by about 10mm.I'v recently had my heads off to cc the chambers etc.Check it out..First..Twisted Wedge reqire longer plugs ,should bring compression back ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech