Speed Governor on Falcons - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2002, 15:03   #1 (permalink)
Sex on wheels

Speed Governor on Falcons

I used to own an XR6 EFII which had a speed governor built into the motor which kicked in at 190km or so.
I'm just curious if they still have them in the AUII XR8's with the 220kw motor?

Why don't Holden have them in theirs but Ford do?

Chris

Click here to see full size avatar....

Autos are for lazy drivers
GTPChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2002, 16:22   #2 (permalink)
Ex Member

Re: Speed Governor on Falcons

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8Chris
I used to own an XR6 EFII which had a speed governor built into the motor which kicked in at 190km or so.
I'm just curious if they still have them in the AUII XR8's with the 220kw motor?

Chris
Its because of the length of the tailshaft in the falcon, its a single peice unit and very long and could wobble violently at high speed resulting in catastrophic failure, Crappadores have 2 peice tailshafts, resulting in more vibration but solves the problem of having such a long drive shaft..... As what i've gathered anyway.. correct me if im wrong and im sure i will be...
Old 06-11-2002, 16:59   #3 (permalink)

Re: Re: Speed Governor on Falcons

Quote:
Originally posted by Fairlane Boy

Its because of the length of the tailshaft in the falcon, its a single peice unit and very long and could wobble violently at high speed resulting in catastrophic failure, Crappadores have 2 peice tailshafts, resulting in more vibration but solves the problem of having such a long drive shaft..... As what i've gathered anyway.. correct me if im wrong and im sure i will be...
No, that is right on the money. Despite the limiter, we have had our rally Falcons (with different computers, running standard aluminium tailshafts) regularly exceeding 200km/h without any drama, but never for too long. At this speed on a gravel road it is a bit hard to feel any vibration. Your mind tends to be intensely focussed on the task at hand!
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:25   #4 (permalink)
aurora

My mum's VT has only 1 tailshaft, rather thick though
It's bog standard
Old 06-12-2002, 02:56   #5 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Re: Speed Governor on Falcons

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8Chris

Chris
I was unaware the XR's had a limiter? was this an auto Chris?
I say this as i've had my EF XR6 manual at 200 km/h - controlled conditons of course :s6:

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 07:46   #6 (permalink)

I think the speed limiter is more to do with the 4speed auto than the driveshaft??. 3speed EAs didnt have one, and neither do any 5speed Falcons.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 17:03   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
I think the speed limiter is more to do with the 4speed auto than the driveshaft??. 3speed EAs didnt have one, and neither do any 5speed Falcons.
Don't think the 3-speeders went that fast!!

Some models have them, some don't. Not sure what's what, but it's also tied to diff ratios, Ford's reason being a car with 3.45s' tailshaft will be spinning a lot faster than a car with 2.92s for the same actual road speed. Later (ELII etc) cars have fat alloy shafts, don't they?
Having said that, I don't think XRs are limited.
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 17:43   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
I've driven a few EA/B 4spd auto Falcons that would go over 180, I had my old EA 4spd auto CFI wagon up to 180 (its top speed anyway) and it didn't have a limiter, also had a recall notice from Ford on the D/S warning me not to go over 180 until I had it checked out, they threw a new D/S in.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:44   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

I think the manual el's didn't have the speed limiter installed at 180/190 km/h but at speeds over about 198km/h, the 4 speed auto would not be able to keep and were therefore limited to prevent damage. I may be wrong about the manuals though. So if anybody is thinking about removing the limiter....DON'T... LOL
Evs_GhiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 18:17   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Don't think its a BTR auto box protection strategy. Maserati used this Aussie gearbox in its turbo V8 Quattroporte (or something) and it certainly wasn't speed limited!!
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech