Ford Forums banner

Speedo fluctuating leading to limp home mode!!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jakobi 
#1 ·
Hey Peoples,

Recently (like the last 4 trips I have had) while driving up the Kuranda range when nearing the top I my speedo has began to go nuts. The car gets quite warm running up the hill as it is under constant load for maybe 10 minutes. Temp gauge rises above half way to mid A (in NORMAL). Voltmeter displays 14.5 as it should and taco works normally too.

In the worste case my speedo was swinging like crazy and displaying a speed of around 20km less than i was doing. Once clearing the top of the hill (just after symptoms begin) the car runs quite cool drifting down the other side yet the needle does not compose itself. After finishing the range I usually have to stop at one set of lights before coming home. At this point gear box seems to be getting quite dazzled (with it falling into limp home mode on one occasion).

Any ideas what the problem could be?

#2 ·
Check your battery leads and all ground earths ???

#4 ·
Well I took it in to my local mechanic today. Told him the symptoms and the works. He also thinks it may be the sender although he would like to take it for a strap and see this happen for himself. Along with that while he is checking it out I am going to get the gearbox serviced, radiator flushed, and a few hoses changed around the place.

What would be the prices for slapping a set of thermo fans and/or a gearbox cooling system into the old rig?

#5 ·
$200 s/h for fan + labour
$30 for temp senser
$12 for relay..

cooler about $80 + fitting..

#6 ·
Thanks ebxr8240.

I think that they may be well worth their value because it surely seems to be a heat related problem. Today driving home from work at around 11am I just held 3rd gear all the way up the hill.. sat around the 2,000rpm mark. Temp stayed normal, and the car pulled fine. No signs of problems.

This has fully got me dazzled. Today was still quite a warm day aswell. I will keep you all informed about how she runs after the service.

Cheers, Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.