Ford Forums banner

Speedo problems

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  XDSedan 
#1 ·
G'day all,
I've posted this in the E-series forum as well just incase they can help... anyways...., I have just installed a new dash in my XD, the dash came from a ZL Fairlane (The full digital type) Problem is I have no output on the speedo part, everything else is sweet. The question is, I've seen that the Red wire on the back of the E series dashes (Speedo sender suply) has a +5v rating, I have no idea if it is suposed to be the same for the ZL (same colours though, even for the Speedo signal input ...white) Just wondering if anyone has any ideas if this is my problem, I have 12V on the red wire right now. Thanks for the help.
-Waz

#2 ·
From memory, the XF's used a white wire for the speedo. I assume the ZL would be the same. Does your XD have a white wire that was going to the old cluster? If so, just try and make a link to feed it into your new dash.

Good luck mate

EDIT :
Sorry, just re-read your post and you already knew that....

I'll see if i can dig up an old wiring diagram... i think i have one in my bedroom. I'll make another post if i find out anything....

#3 ·
Yep, I've ran the white wire (Apparently pulsed, my multi meter is digital and too slow to pick it up) to the white on the ZL dash, no joy there, I'm just wondering if the supply wire is supposed to be +5v or +12v, the XD is +12v and the EL is +5v... just wondering if the ZL is where it swaped over and if so, would this be my problem of no output? Thanks anyways!
-Waz

#5 ·
Everything else works a treat, I got the electrical schematics from the library, it helped me heaps with the ZL but the XD one was shocking, I had to trace every little line back from the plug to what ever it went to! But yeah, Tacho, Fuel, Temp and Fuel all work, no speedo though?! I've changed the speedo sender just incase it was that (straight from the same car as the dash) no lovin' at all. I have no other explinaion for it. Any other ideas would be appreciated though mate!

#6 ·
If you can wait till tommorow, i'll check each wire going into my cluster, and the voltages then post it up for you to compare.

I'm pretty sure though that there is more than 1(maybe even2) +12V that feed into it. Theres two different plugs that go in it right? Maybe the smaller one is dedicated to the speedo?!?!

Also, it must have been a mission putting in the ZL dash aye??

#7 ·
Bit of a mission is an understatement... lol. Anyways, the smaller black plug is dedicated to warning lamps and things like that! The larger white plug is dedicated to signals from all the important stuff (Tacho, Fuel, Temp and Oil pressure and apparently Speedo) That'd be ace if you could do that for me! I'll need it before 10am though if possible (Work after that) I'd like to fix this before work if possible but if not don't stress, it'll have to wait. From memory there is a dedicated +12v for the dash to light up and then +12v from the ignition for the speedo, all through the same pin on the XD dash, but seperate on the XF. I'll go and grab the wire colours now, I'll post up after this in 2 mins!

#9 ·
speedo wiring

The voltage feed for the speedo is a regulated +5v in the XD/ZK through to XF/ZL. This is the red wire. The speedo sender signal is on the white wire and is a -ve pulse. Connect the multimeter -ve lead to the white wire and the meters +ve lead to the red wire. You will need to plug-in the connectors into the cluster so there is a 5volt feed to the sender for it to work.
I usually jack the back of the car up and turn the back wheels so the tailshaft rotates.
The sender pulses 8 times per revolution of the tailshaft.

Use this to confirm sender o/p is available at the back of the cluster.

You obviously terminated the flat plugs from the ZL in place of the round plugs in the XD ??
Could be a wiring error ?

#10 ·
Speedo = white (pulsed apparently)
Oil switch = Red (ground to ground I think)
Oil Pressure sender =White pink trace (ground - ground?)
Earth = Black (-ve)
Fuel sender = Yellow green trace (varied)
Ignition = Red green trace (+12v...possible problem?)
Dash Power = Green yellow trace (+12v)
Dimmer feed = White green trace (+12v with head lights on)
Tacho = Pink blue trace (pused apparently)
Temp = Red white trace (varied)
Illumination ground = Blue red trace (-ve)
Illumination Feed = brown (+12v)

There ya go, I don't know if the signals are right, just what I've observed!

#11 ·
Terminated? Sorry mate, I'm no sparky..lol. I've only got one spare wire hanging from the ZL plug and that's for the oil pressure I think! It's the red wire... hmm... maybe the problem hey? The manual told me that the red wire was for the Oil switch (non-pressure on off type). So I have to find the +5v output from the XD plugs and hook it up the the red on the ZL. Makes sence.

#12 ·
SOLVED! Thanks to everyone, especialy Muzza... the manual was wrong?! Works a treat now! Thanks to xf_xr6 too! Don't stress about pulling your dash apart now but the thought was there! I'm off to drive for a while... LOL
-Waz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.