Ford Forums banner

Spun balancer

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bass Crazy 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

A friend of min has spun the balancer in his 351 and I'm just wondering if anyone here has found a solution to the problem.

He has had the balancer, crank, pistons and flywheel etc balanced together during the engine build, and he wants to get back the balance without having to take the thing apart again.

The engine revs to about 7500rpm, which is the reason the current standard balancer shit itself.

One option he has been given is to get his current balancer repaired, and then have it mirror balanced, using a better quality balancer to put back onto the car. This would cost him around $1500+<<<<< Too much!!!

The second option he has been given was to use a Liquid Balancer. This is apparently a straight bolt on, and has the ability to automatically balance itself to the engine. Has Anyone used this before????
Any 'issues' surrounding them?

Others say that he should just grab a balancer off the shelf and slap it on because it won't make a difference, I doubt that is the case.

Any info would be a great help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would sugest that he goes back to the person that balanced the engine and see if the shop has the specs. If so all he has to do is get a new balancer and get it balanced to match the rest of the system.....if that fails then the only cheaper soloution is to get a liquid balancer (they contain mercury in them & are very good) to match the system....paying $1500 to get a balancer mirror balanced is too much & for that money you can freshen the bottom end on the motor

#3 ·
The guy who did the balancing suggested and quoted the mirror balance, so I guess that means he does not have any records of the engine.

He is most likely going to go the liquid balancer, just wondering if there are any people who have had a bad experience.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.