Squeaky AUII XR8 ute passenger seat - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 13:24   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Squeaky AUII XR8 ute passenger seat

Hi,

I have a 2001 XR8 ute that has done 9000km's. I am pretty happy with the car apart from a few issues and this is the one that is driving me nuts!

The passenger seat has a rattle that is happening fairly often and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows how to fix it.

Of course getting Ford to look at it is impossible as "it's normal" or the standard "You are a typical hypochondriac car owner".
Funny this was the same answer I got when my electric windows were slow (ie: stopped half way up because someone forgot to lubricate them). Same answer when my auto was shifting roughly - oh the vale body is shot in the gearbox and needs replacing. OH I hate Ford Dealers!

But I digress..someone must know how to fix my rattley seat - it has leather upholstery if that makes any difference.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2001, 22:11   #2 (permalink)

I have the same problem and from what I have been able to understand it is in fact common. I haven't been able to track it down except that it does appear to be coming from inside the back rest. The only solution thus far is to sit soemone in the pass seat.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 23:00   #3 (permalink)
European Member

Lightbulb

I had the same problem with ny drivers seat in my AU2. Pull of the inner trim that covers the bolt for the backrest and you'll see a 'slotted' push on washer that moves when you adjust the seat base. My one was rusty. Lub it with a teflon type spray and lo and behold it's gone overnight (let it penetrate).
sjwau2xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 12:58   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Smile

Cool,

I'll have to give this a go on the weekend. I wonder why this is as my '99 AU forte doesn't have the same problem. Funny that the cheaper car has less squeaks and rattles, I guess its the harder suspesnion that causes the increase.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 15:56   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Here's what Iv'e been told by someone who should know, the lucky bastard gets to do the reliability testing after all.

Quote:
The issue is caused by a resonant "shake" that is different to sedans and the noise is from the gear teeth on the back adjuster. That is, the seat is flopping back and forward on the gear teeth, put a pasenger in or some other load on the seat back and it goes away. The usual "fix" is to simply lay the seatback back a bit further to put some preload on the gear teeth.
Hope that solves the puzzle.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech