stalling when aircon is on - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2003, 10:05   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

confused stalling when aircon is on

Hi everyone,

My friend's EF fairmont's idle does not go up when the aircon is turned on. As a result, when cold starting with aircon on the car will stall. The idling when aircon off is perfect and no problem.

whenever the aircon is on and gear to drive or reverse then idle speed drop under 500, sometime stall.

I want to ask is the idle up controled by EEC? Or is there any other sensor telling ISC motor to go up when aircon is on?

Any input is appreciated , thankyou.
abolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2003, 12:41   #2 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

This exact same thing happened on my ED, tho ford told me it was only ED's that suffered it obviously they were wrong. The idle up is controlled by the EEC. I took mine into ford and they hooked it up to a computer, adjusted the idle speed, and i haven't had a worry since. That was over 2 years ago.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:46   #3 (permalink)

i would try to clean the idle speed motor first. this controls idle speed and when it clags up the idle speed can sometimes be intermittent or not even change. try this forst then take it to a garage if all else fails. if you know how to retrieve fault codes out of the computer with a multimetre try that.
Old 02-23-2003, 20:04   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

thankyou crodarian and tickfordboy,

I have clean up the idle speed motora and reset the computer, but it still idle badly under aircon.

I guess Have to follow crodarian suggestion and back to the $dealer$.
abolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:16   #5 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

lol its not that expensive, i think it only cost just over $100 and they cleaned the throttle body too they said.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:37   #6 (permalink)
Master Tech

ef falcons had a tendency to fry the diode in the pcm for the isc circuit. if you can get hold of a multimeter that measures duty cycle, you can check to see if the pcm is controlling it. duty cycle at idle should be between 40 to 50 percent. if no duty cycle is present or it does not change with power steer/ air con load then the pcm is your problem. just put a paper clip in the back of the wiring connector on the isc. from memory its the bottom wire of the two (someone correct me if i'm wrong) connect the positive lead of multimeter to paper clip and the negative lead to battery negative post.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:17   #7 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Yep when ever ac is on you should notice a drop in revs and ecu compinsates for this if it does not, then its either ISC problem, or ECU, take it to a dyno tuner.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech