Standard Looking Aftermarket Computers. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Standard Looking Aftermarket Computers.

Does anyone know if there is available a standard looking replacement ecu for ford au 6.The unichip and chiptorque systems both appear to be a worth while mod.However I really beleive that they would sell more if they were enclosed in a stock looking case..as people are put off by insurance issues. If they offered this then id really be looking at it because the stock ecu is big weak link in our cars.What do you guys think?
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 01:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Standard Looking Aftermarket Computers.

I know Autronic do replacement ECU's for some cars. These ultilise the standard sensors etc and are put in original casing... Not sure if they do any Ford ECU's though... a while ago they only had ones for the likes of the EVO Lancers.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:06   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

The Chiptorque chip is the more subtle of the 2. It fits into the Std ECU box and really isnt that noticable.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:21   #4 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

I noticed chiptorque sell their chips for 595 dollars.I have good car installation knowledge ,do we just plug it in?
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:38   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I noticed chiptorque sell their chips for 595 dollars.I have good car installation knowledge ,do we just plug it in?
No, theres a little more to it than that. Once its installed though its easy enough to take it out and put it back in. Just needs to be installed correctly first time.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Movin!

I'de say if you get a chip it can be installed where you cant notice it

Both the XEDE and Unichip can be put inside the car where it can be unseen, yet easily be accessed by a tuner for future tune-ups if nesessary, i'm sure a lot of the other chips are the same
Old 08-03-2004, 03:19   #7 (permalink)

preprogrammed chiptorques are dead easy. Just send the specs of your car to them and they send you a chip back. The program wont be perfect but it is pretty dam good. Installation and removal is easy as well. You just need to unclip the plastic panel by the passengers seat, remove the computer with a screwdriver, unscrew the loom with a 10mm socket, unclip the black plastic cover on the bottom of the computer, clean the contacts and push the chiptorque in. It takes about 5 minutes to put it in or take it out. The only thing you could screw up is the cleaning of the contacts.

You cant see most computers when they are installed and most can be taken out without to much trouble.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:17   #8 (permalink)

I planning to build a Megasquirt in a standard EEC-IV case. Got the kit, just need the time to start soldering....
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech