Starting Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2002, 07:57   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Starting Problem

Hey all :)

When i jump in my car (AU XR6) sometimes go to start it, it doesnt fully kick over. I turn the key, but the the car stops from starting. Try it again sometimes it will start & sometimes i have to try one my time. But when it finally does start, it sounds like a V8 starting with a loud note coming from the exhaust, then sounding normal again. But yeh, kinda sucks not starting the first time.

Any ideas on what this could be or anyone had the same troubles? First guess would be either the battery or the alternator. :|

Cheers.

--§Memphis§--
memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2002, 13:25   #2 (permalink)

Hey ive got the almost the same problem here (94 EF).

Sometimes when i start it, it starts fine, other times it takes a while to actually turn over and then when it does... sounds like its having trouble like you said. It hasnt actually not started yet, but it takes a good while before it kicks over.

Im thinking something along the lines of the fuel pump, but then again i dont know squat about it so yeah.

good luck with it.. if anyone knows what it is then i would also like to know how to fix it.

Cheers

Ent.
Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 17:54   #3 (permalink)

Only thought I have outside the obvious electrical ones - are you putting your foot on the go pedal when you try to start it? Doing so will cause starting hesitation.

All EFI motors are designed to be started totally "hands off" ... er ... "feet off".

If the engine floods you will get fuel burning in the exhaust which may be what you are hearing.

A totally flooded engine may be started by "full throttle" startup, same as with a carby motor - this is the only time you should touch the go pedal when starting an EFI motor.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 18:22   #4 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Sounds like it might be over rich if it starts like that, so the problem is probably fuel related.
Fuel filter, regulator or blocked/leaking injector maybe. I have heard of bad pumps casusLeaking injector usually seen by puff of blue smoke when it starts. run some STP injector cleaner and see how you go (try other stuff if you want but I use STP as it makes a diference). If the fuel filter's more than 20,000 km old, it should pay to change that too (often overlooked by mechanics).

Hope that can help ya.
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 20:03   #5 (permalink)
"Tickford- Own the road"

Process of elimination:

Plugs OK?

Air Filter breathable?

Fuel Filter not to old?

Leads not whitened?

Leads all connected at both ends?

Dizzy cap + Rotor button worn (E series)?

Oil leveled and clean?

Water clean and full?

Vacuam hoses in tact?

Need more info guys. Does this happen when hot, cold, both? How many kms has car travelled? Full tank or half or both?

5.4 litre VCT V8, SSS AUTO, HERRODS EXHAUST, MERCURY SILVER, BLACK LEATHER/INTERIOR, TINTS, SUNROOF, SAT NAV, FORD SCUFF PLATES, GHIA MATS, PREMIUM SOUND, SLIMLINE WEATHER SHIELDS, BONNET PROTECTOR, TOW BAR, BLAH BLAH.......
tickford5400i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 20:41   #6 (permalink)

i can only speak for myself here but my car does it all the time, cold, hot, full tank and low tank of fuel. My cars travelled about 170,000 ks and i just had it serviced less than a week ago.

The plugs and leads are fine. Air filter is fine, oil water, hoses and all that been checked out and their all fine.

However when i got it serviced the mechanic told me that the fuel filter needs replacing so im thinking its this.

Neway i'll replace it when i get the chance and let u guys know how it went.

anyone know a price for the filter? mite need the pipes too and from it too.
Old 09-02-2002, 22:00   #7 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

EF/EL Fuel filters are about $30. Last time a bought a fuel filter for a 3.9 It was about $25. All you need is the filter. It just screws into the fuel line under the back of the car, near rear door.
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:24   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

The problem seems to occur randomly. Well as far as I can tell. Just seems to do it when it wants :)

Fuel level is random as well, carn't pin point anything from that as well. I only run it on Optimax Fuel though, could that be a problem? :-\

And the car has traveled nearly 70 000km...

I’ve booked it into the local Dyno Shop to have a full check over, so hopefully they might be able to come up with something. I’ll let use now how I go, but keep the post coming!

Cheers,

--§Memphis§--
memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 01:41   #9 (permalink)

I had a similar problem on my EL XR6. Turned out to be a cracked battery clamp (+Pos) looked okay felt tight by hand but must have cracked due to fatigue.
XBHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 11:39   #10 (permalink)

me again.

hmmf
over the past week i've had my car serviced fully and checked out the best i could.. and still got no idea on whats causing the problem.

i've serviced the car. checked all leads and plugs, battery and battery connections. oil changed, head gasket has been checked out and in perfect shape.

about 3 days ago i tried running a brand new battery with no luck. the leads are all ok (no cracks). today i had the fuel filter replaced as well as the trans serviced.

It still has the same problem. the car runs fine... no problem there. its only i just cant get it to start properly (it does eventually start but takes a few seconds of holding the key and waiting for it to turn over).

i've run outa ideas guys. anyone out there with a similar problem they've fixed. i need to know why this is and what i can do to fix it as its costing me too much already and really starting to p%$! me off

if anyone has any other clue.. please share.

(oh and dont know if its related - mechanic said it wasnt but dont trust him - my radiator overflow cracked last week and i didnt realise until i stopped the car, at which point pretty much all of the coolant had leaked out and the car basically overheated. well anyway i had the overflow replaced as well as a brand new radiator installed last week. dunno if this has anything to do with it, but it seems to have started since then.)

thanx guys for all ya help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech