Ford Forums banner

Starting problem

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  EA1191 
#1 ·
There is a problem starting the car after it has not been used for a week or two. No trouble after a few days. The impression is of a flat battery but after a few switch-ons with not much response, the engine turns over and starts. My suspicion is that the starter solenoid armature is sticking and not sliding freely in the coil. It is easier to write this than to crawl around the car and perhaps someone has had this problem. If it is the solenoid, would a shot of WD40 in the right place fix it, or some lubricant? Or can it be another fault.
Because the car is rarely used, it has been treated with molybdenum and also teflon. This seems to have almost stopped leaking valve seals, but may have reduced the clearances within the engine. It is running very well.

#2 ·
click - click get a new battery - I suggest jump the car with a good battery next time you try start it after it has been sitting, fires first go then you have an answer, if it still takes afew times then possibly starter, but with more power will be easier to know what the problem is.

Also - after it finally starts and has been run for say 10 minutes, does it start first go straight away if you turn it off then on - if so solenoid is out of the question as they would acutally stick worse from heat then cold.

Jason

#4 ·
hmmmmmmmmmmm

so the engine does not turn, you hear nothing at all, then after a few key turns it just starts ??

Turn the key to the on position just before starting 3 times waiting a few seconds between each turn, on the 4th try start the car.

Jason

#5 ·
I had a problem with the car not starting easily sometimes and that was because of water in the petrol tank. That needed a few turns of the key to flush the line.
The puzzle is the initial nudges needed to get the starter to turn the engine. Not sure if the starter relay closes first time. It could have been more than two weeks not used, and the battery may have drained to a low charge. Before I start it next time I will check the charge. How long should the battery hold a good charge? After a short run and the next day the engine spins freely for a fast start.
I find it annoying that engines can no longer be turned over by hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.