Steering Column Spline - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 02:09   #1 (permalink)

Steering Column Spline

Can anyone out there tell me if Ford changed the spline on the top of the steering column between the XW-XY and later models? I'm looking at getting a second-hand after-market twirler and boss but I'm told the boss may be off an XD.

cheers

Rob
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 15:06   #2 (permalink)

biggrin

I had a XW that I put a XY floor shift column into, it still fitted the steering wheel ok, I dunno about the XD but think XA's were the same too.
Easiest bet is to take your wheel off go to a wrecker yard, try it on a XD column
It might pay to take the wheel off and drive to wrecker in another car as it's hard to steer with just the shaft though :-)
bigmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 18:10   #3 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

XD/E/F Column clearances and splines differ from the XR-XC's

ViGiLaNtE
Old 04-29-2003, 05:56   #4 (permalink)

Bigmat, dunno about not being able to drive without a wheel - a while ago the paper here did an article about the idiot things that some yabbies do. Lack of a steering wheel didn't stop one clown - he just attached a pair of vice grips and away he went! Don't know if they were the 4-inch sports steering vice grips but.....

Thanks all for the replies!

Cheers

XWish Ute
Old 04-29-2003, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
Phyco EF Driva

ahah u serious about the vice grips? haha what an fu&@en nutta
Old 04-29-2003, 12:16   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I thought I would mention that I had heard something similar about the vice grips but I thought it was a Myth idiots....
Old 04-30-2003, 01:46   #7 (permalink)

I guess it's gotta be true - the paper reported it! and they are always accurate aren't they? tic

From memory they actually had a pic of it, along with a number of other dodgy mods the police found during their blitz (like the home made LPG conversion using a 9kg gas bottle and a rubber hose into the carb....throttle control by opening and closing the gas bottle valve and juggling the accelerator).

And we drive on the road beside these clowns......
Old 05-01-2003, 22:42   #8 (permalink)

Smile

So that's where by BBQ gas bottle went....
Pity it didn't back fire I say.
How you getting on with that spline Prob?
What you got in your XW
I loved mine even with the 221 it beat XY 250s for top end and off the line.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:18   #9 (permalink)

Ended up not chasing the steering wheel down - but the info has come in handy for future reference. At present, the twirler is just a standard black number from an XA, which is adequate to steer with, but not the prettiest to look at. Been thinking about getting a GS wheel, but that's pretty low on the priority list now.

Ute runs a 351C with FMX - was originally fitted with a 200 cid 6 and 3 speed. Ex Junee-council ute from near Wagga. Not on the road yet, been a VERY long term project, made all the more difficult by the fact that I am currently working in Adelaide while the ute (and family) are still in Melb. :-(

Just put the dust covers back on it a couple of hours ago as I'm driving to Adelaide tomorrow (again....). Be off line for the next 6 weeks or so. Oh well, I look on it as another city to source parts from! :-)

Cheers

XWish Ute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech