Steering Shudder in EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 22:43   #1 (permalink)

Steering Shudder in EA

Folks, I've got some decent shudder going on in my EA. Before you say anything, yes I have searched the forums for "steering shudder" and found a few good suggestions BUT my problem is slightly different.

Since I got the car back from having the head and gasket replaced, there is a mean shudder when moving slowly and turning 'right'. Turning left it is there ever so slighty but when turning right, either moving into a car park say or coming out of one I really have to fight it, almost like I've got brakes on the power steering.

I've checked the fluid levels, all fine, red color, no burnt oil in here. This is a brand new power steering pump, only about a year old if that.

Now, my first conclusion could be the belts since they would have had to have been removed and replaced when working on the head. If they are loose, however loose, would they squeak at all, what kind of tension would I be expecting on them?

Other than that, any other suggestions? Would it have to do with the suspension at all in the right front of the car? The car drives straight enough, no vibrations at high speeds, pretty decent actually, so if it's just the belts then I'd save some large amounts of money as I was thinking of taking it to a suspension place to make sure.

Cheers,
Steve
xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2004, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: Steering Shudder in EA

It's almost certainly the belts. They are either to loose or they have a bit of oil on them.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 22:56   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxx
It's almost certainly the belts. They are either to loose or they have a bit of oil on them.
Soxx, I'll give them a check tonight. But riddle me this, why only when turning right and not left?

Cheers and thanks again,
Steve
Old 01-14-2004, 23:03   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

At a guess, perhaps because of slightly less castor on one side.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 23:06   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Camber of road maybe??
Could be air in system?If there is it should clare up, but check power steering fluid levels... Kinked hoses etc
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 00:47   #6 (permalink)

My does the same thing, I think the fluid is getting aerated. If it is putting a tranny cooler on the return line normally fixes this, alot of the saloon car guys do this.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:39   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxx
Soxx, you were spot on the money. Got home, clean the belts up ever so slightly, started the car, did a full lock both ways, smooth as silk again.

Everyones comments much appreciated,
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:32   #8 (permalink)

Never had the shudder from low fluid level.. just that nice supercharger type wine.. love it.. pity i topped up the steering fluid again coz the sound stopped!
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech