Stock EA tailshaft is crap! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 21:33   #1 (permalink)
PHIL82

Stock EA tailshaft is crap!

My tailshaft on my stock EA GL vibrates and rumbles too much at 200km/ph and or after 180km/ph... how can the tailshaft be stregthened to withstand speeds of up to at least 300km/ph... just making sure cos I might put up future mods on my car that could push it to 300 kays.

Maybe a custom tailshaft is the solution?

Yes, my 3.9L CFI has hit the 200km/h mark... takes about 7-10 seconds after 180km/ph to reach 200km/ph. Don't take off your accelerator so harshly or you probably could spin out outta control... just take your speed down slowly by taking your foot off the accelerator slowly and start braking at 160km/ph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Westkoast EA

Watch it

Phil82 no offence but at that speed any little thing goes wrong and it will be fatal,the EA is a big stong car but there is no built in safty gear, like no air bag ect..

have fun ! but dont kill yourself!...or anybody else

mabey you are talking about a race track car ,thats up to you

any way you will need a custom one piece tailshaft.

good luck !

go the fords !!(xr

Old 03-07-2002, 23:34   #3 (permalink)
Martin

300Kmh LOL, do you know how much power you would need to do that kinda speed in a EA??
Old 03-08-2002, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
EAofWAR

I agree with Westkoast EA, custom tailshaft, u may be able to get away with a ED XR8 Sprint, tailshaft, or the EB gt one, (i think there mechanically similiar, they share the same motor) if that will fit, (i do doubt it, but doesnt hurt looking into it). Have u tried using a rear spoiler it may actually stablise the car abit more at that speed. But once again im commenting on something i have no idea about so dont quote me. Yeah these mods will only be good for the 200kph limit, anything over your going to have to look at a custom tailshaft.

P.S. I dont think an EA would hold together at 300kph (my guess is it will vibrate apart not far from 200), any car that hasn't been balanced for racing, in the production stages is generally not going to handle too well at that speed, if u even get it there.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:37   #5 (permalink)
Fly like a Falcon

why do you need to go that fast... maybe once or twice... but i see no need to mod it for those speeds...
power is all good... but personaly i would want power for acceleration not top end...

besides your talking about moding it so you can sustain 200+... the first thing that jumps to mind ( other than the windscreen) is what the hell would your fuel bill be... and i imagin most ppl on here are like me and have a budget...

why...

FLY
Old 03-08-2002, 11:48   #6 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

A 300km/h EA won't be cheap to build. Grtting the motor that powerful is only a tiny part of it. You would have to reinforce most for the car's structure and have it very, very finely balanced. With the money you spend doing it you would be better off buying half a house.
I'm not gonna judge how much money you have so my advice for the tailshaft is this: dont waste your time with a single piece unit. If you really want single piece then get a carbon fibre compound shaft like what they use in V8 supercars. The cheaper and possibly better option would probably be a 2 piece tailshaft. This would almost completely eliminate tailshaft vibration.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 15:51   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

wow

Gee, that's pretty damm quick for an EA, actually, far too quick in my opinion. Anyhow, the EB onward use a better tailshaft setup. If you have enough power to get you up to 300km/h, I would suggest a 9".

In my opinion, a crappy tail shaft at 300km/h is only one of about 1million things you should be worried about.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2002, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
PHIL82

Re: wow

How much would it cost for a carbon fibre compound shaft like what they use in V8 supercars? Is it legal on the roads?

Is the ratio setup in a stock EA diff right? (Just curious... I don't know a thing about ratio's) I would like a diff ratio that gives good fuel economy and reasonable power.
Old 04-03-2002, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
WhiteRyder

Tailshaft

There is an alumnium shaft available for round $600 new. Herod Automotive won't do a non speed limited car without one.
Old 04-04-2002, 17:29   #10 (permalink)
mitda001

tailshafts

The el GT uses an aluminium shaft with a carbon fibre wrap. Made by Dana.

Supposedly a bigger tailshaft is a solution, but according to ford engineers doesn't fit. Hmm.....

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech