Straight Gas or Fuel Injection - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2002, 18:42   #1 (permalink)
speedkills so snort Slowr

Straight Gas or Fuel Injection

i have a carby xf and i want performance (hey who doesn't). I would like to know whether i should go straight gas or fuel injection.

With which setup can i do the most mods too.
http://www.freewebs.com/tzenu
crzyxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2002, 18:49   #2 (permalink)
1641cc, 10psi and 450kg!

Thumbs up

Gas is the way to go, especially if you are building a motor from scratch. lpg has a higher octane, amost zero emissions and is relatively cheap. downside is ugly gas convertor, and low calorific value of lpg (you will use more gas than petrol). contact Gas Research Australia, they will point you in the right direction and have dedicated gas cams etc.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:16   #3 (permalink)
the man who cares

what about both

it would scream then and you will get the best of both worlds

umm i thought that the had lowered the octane level in the gas today
FMXer's XF ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
1641cc, 10psi and 450kg!

the octane in most lpg is still over 100 ron, don't run duel fuel!!! Petrol and lpg have different properties, so you have to set the engine up with both in mind, you will lose performance. liquid gas injection has not yet been sorted to my knowledge, but would be the ultimate street hi-po fuel.
Old 08-09-2002, 00:50   #5 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

Straight gas although I think a sidedraught ported and polished IMPCO 425, on a common plenum feeding 4 inch ram tubes will deliver more than the GRA for less money. IMO :)
Spend the time on the head opening the exhaust up and polishing everything. A cam (plus 0.5") favouring exhaust by several degrees is needed too. LPG will quiet a big cam also so it will idle when the same motor on fuel would not. Good extractors with 1 7/8 primaries matched to the exhaust ports and a single 3" system. If you go straight gas enquire about getting an emissions exemption too. You have to take out the petrol tank but you dont need any more cat or pollution plumbing. 4* CO is the emissions mark which is easily achieved.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech