Straight Gas vs Dual Fuel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 04:12   #1 (permalink)
PC God, Car Newbie...

Straight Gas vs Dual Fuel

I have heard converting your car to straight gas (lpg only) is better than converting it to dual fuel (lpg + ulp) because lpg has a high octane, and in dual fuel you cant tune the engine to make the most of lpg's high octane or else it will not run on ulp.

Does this sound right? If it is true then why do people use dual fuel? How much would it cost to convert my car from dual fuel to straight gas?

Thanks!
TheTechGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2004, 04:51   #2 (permalink)
heard it before!

Re: Straight Gas vs Dual Fuel

gas isn't as high octane as it used to be i'm told. but it still has different tuning than petrol.
you can't get a jerry can of gas if you run out.(thats why i like duel fuel and also longer range if rou need it)
it depends on what car you have but most of the time you tune the car for gas and make it run good enough for petrol.
if you build tour engine for gas: gas cam, proper gas carb(mixer) dizzy regraphed etc, you can make very good power and still have reasonable running costs,

what do you want to use your car for is another question?
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:02   #3 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Advantages of straight gas:

higher octane than normal petrol
this means higher compression
more advance

EPA friendly- can save big hastles in performancecars

and of course its cheap :)

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 23:50   #4 (permalink)
PC God, Car Newbie...

I mainly use the car for daily commuting, so I don't need the highest performance possible, but I want at least near petrol performance when running lpg. Fuel efficiency and low cost is important to me because most of my driving is in stop-go traffic.

The car was converted to dual fuel before I bought it, so I don't know exactly what has been done with cam/carb/etc.

If I was doing the conversion from ulp I would probably go straight gas but do you think it is worth converting from dual fuel to straight gas? What is involved in converting it?
Old 10-09-2004, 06:15   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechGod
I mainly use the car for daily commuting, so I don't need the highest performance possible, but I want at least near petrol performance when running lpg. Fuel efficiency and low cost is important to me because most of my driving is in stop-go traffic.

The car was converted to dual fuel before I bought it, so I don't know exactly what has been done with cam/carb/etc.

If I was doing the conversion from ulp I would probably go straight gas but do you think it is worth converting from dual fuel to straight gas? What is involved in converting it?
if it uses a good duel fuel system it should go almost as good as petrol, most of my cars that i've had on gas had impco systems, these are good quality systems that even on duel fuel tuned for gas would be almost no different in performance to petrol,
i would not think you would benefit enough to warrant spending time or money going back to straight gas in your case
economy would be almost no different probably, but you may gain a little more power
Old 10-09-2004, 08:57   #6 (permalink)
PC God, Car Newbie...

Thanks deankdx, how do I find out if it is impco/other, is it the label on the gas tank itself? (I don't think that is impco but I'll check tomorrow).
Old 10-09-2004, 10:48   #7 (permalink)

On the subject of straight gas vehicles and the whole jerry can principle, I had been informed years ago that topping up an LPG system is indeed possible. Once a hose adapter is fabricated to a portable LPG bottle, the bottle is turned upside down and elevated above the height of the recipient lpg tank. the pressures of both vessels will reach equilibrium to approx half the capacity of the donor bottle. Its obviously not ideal, but on an acedemic basis provides some scope to those resourceful amongst us.
mspw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 17:47   #8 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspw
On the subject of straight gas vehicles and the whole jerry can principle, I had been informed years ago that topping up an LPG system is indeed possible. Once a hose adapter is fabricated to a portable LPG bottle, the bottle is turned upside down and elevated above the height of the recipient lpg tank. the pressures of both vessels will reach equilibrium to approx half the capacity of the donor bottle. Its obviously not ideal, but on an acedemic basis provides some scope to those resourceful amongst us.

i know this can be done but the fun police wont like it, i guess if you really wanted to you could put a T with one way valve in the gas line with an adapter ready for such an emergency, but i'm sure this would be illegal too.

brand name is on the converter and mixer with impco, gas tanks dont have a performance issue unless you've got a turbo V8 or something that really guzzles gas, other common brands for gas converters are, B2(very good also) century(don't think hey make em any more) landi(ok when they're working properly but CHEAP), polyauto(think the tickford system uses this brandEXPENSIVE) theres probably at least 20 other brands out there.
Old 10-09-2004, 18:32   #9 (permalink)
Pimpin the chrome

If you see Lovato Run for the hills!! its the cheapest crap you can buy. my old XD use to have it, was told my many LPG places to rip it out cause id run faster than the car with it in it, and that it will stuff up for ever

EF head | EF XR6 Cam |Pacemaker 3320(?) extractors | Hiflo cat
3:23 | Auto | XH Snorkle | Thermos | 2.5" Mandrel Exhaust
Full NC2 Sportsman Interior inc Dash & Electrics
Custom Clear Tailights and Garnish
Sprint kit | Moffat front bar (soon) | king lows
FTR Chrome Rims | Driving lights | Custom ED Mesh grill
Pioneer of the Clear ED tailights
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech