strange noise... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 19:35   #1 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

strange noise...

Hey all

Just lately in the EA i have noticed a strange humming sound in it. I can only hear it when its coasting, cant hear it when accelerating cos of loud exhaust.....Bass said it might be the diff but I dont do skids in the dry or often in the wet. I do drive it a little hard at times but I thought i'd root the trannie before the diff...

anyone got any ideas? Its hard to pick the source (whether its front or rear) and is a pretty constant whine (not THAT loud but noticable).

A thought i just had, could it be noise from the tyres? I put a camber kit in it the other day and am having wheel alignment thursday....atm it looks like I got a bit of drift camber dialled in...could it be cos of this?

Any thoughts appreciated

oh and another thing, remember how I said I had a huge knock in the car entering/exiting driveways and on take off? well the take off knock is fixed-loose engine mount. But it still knocks leaving/entering a driveway! Tie rod ends new, lower balljoints new, sway bar bushes new, camber kit installed, ED steering rack (shouldnt be this thats causing it).....the only thing I havent replaced is upper balljoints (felt good) plus whatever else is in the front that I havent mentioned....Could it be a shock? sound comes from front RHS and can be felt ever so slightly thru steering wheel on the odd occasion.

Sorry for the extra long post.

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

the knock from the suspension could be a shocker. I used to have all kinds of squeaks and knocks when I went in/out of our drive (we don't have a proper drive just a gutter with bricks in it). When I replaced the springs and shocks all the squeaks and knocks disappered.

Just a guess, could it be the fuel pump whining? I've found the MPI one to be much noisier than the CFI one.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 02:18   #3 (permalink)

6 months ago mine decided to have a little whine in the back end, after about 3 months it got real bad, turned out to be the spider gear in the diff, $200 (complete second hand diff) and a mates service garage later plus 4 hours of labour and loss of knuckle skin all fixed.

Teach me to leave it till it's too late.
lizzard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 19:00   #4 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Well I have found the humming noise to be coming from left hand side of car, I think at the front. Replaced wheel bearing just before and is still making noise. When you take weight off the wheel, IE turn left, noise goes away, but driving on flat stuff straight and turning right its a really loud constant moan, much like an engine labouring (but the tach aint movin so its not that). Im hoping the wheel alignment tomorrow will fix the noise, it may just be the inside of the tyre making the noise

thanks guys

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Old 05-08-2002, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
KLOMP

check for looseness on upper and lower suspension arms on rear end.....I would have sworn it was a noise in the front...but it was in the rear...go figure!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
daavey

humming

i had a hum once, it was the front wheel bearings and it had just got a warrant. if its changing when u turn thr wheel then its got to be bearings. did u change the cones as well as the rollers?
Old 05-09-2002, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Re: humming

ok boys I solved the humming problem-Right hand front wheel bearing! As for the knock, we are going to start on the rear end now cos most bushes have been done on the front...

Thanks again :)

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Old 08-25-2004, 05:19   #8 (permalink)

Re: strange noise...

Hi guy's i have a humming noise coming from the front somewhere but only when i am on the freeway doing 100km/h or so, first i thought the wheel bearings but want to make sure??? it's an AU3 with around 60,000km's and i just bought it from Ford 2 months ago can i get them to fix it or is it not a warranty problem?
Thanks
vbtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech