Strange noise from parcel shelf - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

Question Strange noise from parcel shelf

Howdy folks,

Thought I'd ask you Guru's a question about a noise I've picked up after my car had come out of the panelbeaters this evening.
It sounds like static / crackling or even like softly ripping velcro and it seems to be coming from the left rear speaker area in my parcel shelf.
I turned off my stereo thinking it was a dodgy speaker but the noise was still there. When I stopped at an intersection the noise stopped completely.
I revved the engine in neutral gear but the noise didn't reappear so I figured it wasn't a bad earth or loose earth connection or that it was picking up the engine noise and vibrating in sympathy with it.
When I started driving again from the intersection the noise came straight back. It seems to only be doing it when the car is moving regardless of the stereo being on or off.
I looked in the boot when I got home but all the wiring seems intact - nothing out of the ordinary that I could see.
I don't suppose anyone here might like to venture a guess as to what might be causing this?
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2004, 05:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Strange noise from parcel shelf

Er... What did the panel shop fix? I'm thinking at the moment that maybe something is rubbing on the left rear wheel/tyre, possibly something the panelbeater left undone.
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:58   #3 (permalink)
Vic

Impact in the rear between the bootkey slot and the drivers taillamp - pushed the beaver panel in.
Had a new bumper, beaver panel pulled out, S/H bootlid...
No sound after I picked the car up the first time but I had to send it back for rework because I was unhappy with their repair. I'd just picked it up from the panelbeaters after their rework when I noticed this new annoying sound.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:56   #4 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

possibly a wire has been cut thru, and might be contacting the speakers somewhere along the wiring loom to ground or other wires, causing popping etc... check along the looms for this (even with the stereo off this can make the speakers pop etc)
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:08   #5 (permalink)

Next thing is to jack the car up, by the axle and rotate the wheels by hand. Use the axle for jacking so as to keep the "on road" clearance.

Ummmm... look to see if ALL panels have been replaced. Does the boot seal properly? (Point the back end to the sun and stick your head in the boot from the rear seat thingy.) Does the noise sound like a window has been left open a crack? We're talking wind noise here. I should have asked: does the noise come on all at once, or develop with speed?
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 14:48   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Sounds like a loose wire to your speaker to me mate. I had the same problem in my old XE and that was the cause.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:24   #7 (permalink)
Vic

The sound just sounds like static / white noise from a speaker or like softly ripping velcro. The sound occurs after getting up to 10kph and beyond.
All windows and doors properly closed. I am going to get into the boot with a torch and start inspecting the wiring to the parcel shelf. If the noise keeps going I'll pull the speaker wires off the speakers to eliminate the possibilities as I go.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech