Ford Forums banner

Strange noise from parcel shelf

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Vic 
#1 ·
Howdy folks,

Thought I'd ask you Guru's a question about a noise I've picked up after my car had come out of the panelbeaters this evening.
It sounds like static / crackling or even like softly ripping velcro and it seems to be coming from the left rear speaker area in my parcel shelf.
I turned off my stereo thinking it was a dodgy speaker but the noise was still there. When I stopped at an intersection the noise stopped completely.
I revved the engine in neutral gear but the noise didn't reappear so I figured it wasn't a bad earth or loose earth connection or that it was picking up the engine noise and vibrating in sympathy with it.
When I started driving again from the intersection the noise came straight back. It seems to only be doing it when the car is moving regardless of the stereo being on or off.
I looked in the boot when I got home but all the wiring seems intact - nothing out of the ordinary that I could see.
I don't suppose anyone here might like to venture a guess as to what might be causing this? :fraz:

#3 ·
Impact in the rear between the bootkey slot and the drivers taillamp - pushed the beaver panel in.
Had a new bumper, beaver panel pulled out, S/H bootlid...
No sound after I picked the car up the first time but I had to send it back for rework because I was unhappy with their repair. I'd just picked it up from the panelbeaters after their rework when I noticed this new annoying sound.

#4 ·
possibly a wire has been cut thru, and might be contacting the speakers somewhere along the wiring loom to ground or other wires, causing popping etc... check along the looms for this (even with the stereo off this can make the speakers pop etc)

#5 ·
Next thing is to jack the car up, by the axle and rotate the wheels by hand. Use the axle for jacking so as to keep the "on road" clearance.

Ummmm... look to see if ALL panels have been replaced. Does the boot seal properly? (Point the back end to the sun and stick your head in the boot from the rear seat thingy.) Does the noise sound like a window has been left open a crack? We're talking wind noise here. I should have asked: does the noise come on all at once, or develop with speed?

#6 ·
Sounds like a loose wire to your speaker to me mate. I had the same problem in my old XE and that was the cause.

#7 ·
The sound just sounds like static / white noise from a speaker or like softly ripping velcro. The sound occurs after getting up to 10kph and beyond.
All windows and doors properly closed. I am going to get into the boot with a torch and start inspecting the wiring to the parcel shelf. If the noise keeps going I'll pull the speaker wires off the speakers to eliminate the possibilities as I go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.