Strange temperature problem (2000 Lincoln LS V8) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2004, 19:28   #1 (permalink)

Strange temperature problem (2000 Lincoln LS V8)

I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 and haven't driven it in a couple days. I drove it today for about 5 minutes to a drive through and all of a sudden, it says "check engine temperature" in the display. I look at the temp gauge and it's 3 quarters of the way up. I'm stuck in the drive through for about another 3 minutes and it shoots up again very rapidly and I get another alert saying "engine power reduced". Now, I'm like "shit!", I need to get out of this drive through and a couple minutes later, I finally get my food and parked it immediately. I pop the hood and there's no smoke whatsoever, look underneath and nothing is leaking. I sit there for a half hour eating and waiting. I start it up and the temperature is normal but the check engine light is on. I cautiously drive it for the 10 minute ride home. The whole way home, the temperature never rose past the middle of hot and cold, it stayed in the middle the whole time and the car seemed to run fine (other than the check engine light). What could this be? ...maybe a bad temp sensor?
what should I check first?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2004, 03:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Strange temperature problem (2000 Lincoln LS V8)

Are electric cooling fans fitted, if so are they working?
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:37   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPALDING GREEN
Are electric cooling fans fitted, if so are they working?
Cooling fans seem to be working fine. Wierd thing is, after I shut it off for about a half hour and started it up again...the temp stayed normal all the way home (which is only about a 10 minute drive). Check engine light stayed on however.
Old 09-22-2004, 17:15   #4 (permalink)

I just took the car to autozone and they ran a diagnostic on it. The guy said it is my EGR valve, something to do with me air/fuel he said when I asked further. I don't know how this would relate to the car over heating but he said it can cause the manifold or catalytic converter to heat up. Where do I go from here? I'm really trying not to take it to a dealer or mechanic because I'm very limited on cash right now. Anything else I can do?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:32   #5 (permalink)

If there is an EGR issue the check engine light may stay on due to the vehicle having OBD/ OBDII. Light will stay on until problem is rectified.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech