Stuuupid Question.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2001, 19:38   #1 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

roll Stuuupid Question..

Hey guys..

Well it's finally happened.. the Festy is the main source of transport for yours truely from now on.. Took her for a drive last night and again this morning and I have noticed a slight problem. It appears the missus has been standing on the anchors a bit too much 'cause when you whack your foot on the brake there's a shudder through the steering wheel. Not a real bad one but there's a shudder none the less..
I know the car needs a wheel balance and alignment but I'm thinking the front discs may need to be machined as well.. As I've said before I'm not a real guru when it comes to fixing cars but I was hoping to get your opinions on what the little shudder could be..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2001, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
GTHO4

If the steering shudders only when applying the brakes it would be warped discs... definately have them machined.
Old 06-30-2001, 19:53   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Yeah it's only when you touch the anchors.. thanks for that mate.. :thumbup:
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
Old 06-30-2001, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
GTHO4

No wucken Forries! :D
Old 06-30-2001, 22:49   #5 (permalink)

There are tow ways of having the discs machined. Ford dealers seem to want to machine them insitu. I have never seen this completely fix the problem. I had this happen on a couple of falcons and IMO get the rotors removed.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 01:08   #6 (permalink)

How many K's on the festy? Is it a 1.3 or 1.5, manual or auto(shudder)? Depending on the model the front discs will be either solid or vented. From memerory once the solid ones got a few k's on them getting them machined was out of the question. DBA make replacement discs for them at ok prices which in my mind is the better way to go, and there are drilled and slotted ones for the festy, if they are the same as Mazda 121.
Old 07-01-2001, 01:39   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

yeah definitly the go is to machine them of the car, makes the pads seat in better too, hence better braking. Dunno how they machine the discs on the car. :confused: :confused:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 02:14   #8 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by FTEfan
How many K's on the festy? Is it a 1.3 or 1.5, manual or auto(shudder)?
'99 model.. 22,000k's 1.3 ltr manual.. drive away with free windows deal.. feels like a simple machining of the discs will do the job... hope so anyway!!.. :rolleyes:
Old 07-01-2001, 02:33   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Heh won't you need to upgrade the Braking system when you bolt on the turbo?!?! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 04:12   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Ford Man,

Mate why didn't you tick the option of the "big block" motor the 1.5 when you bought it. :p :p :p :p

Yeah about the brakes machining would be the deal, i'm 99% sure that it would cure the shudder problem. Oh yeah remember to bed the brakes in by not braking too hard for the first 100 or so km.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech