supra 5 speeds - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2002, 03:39   #1 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

supra 5 speeds

Has anyone here considered putting a supra 5 speed in their falcon? And has anyone had any quotes or does anyone know roughly how much it would cost? And how much horsepower are they rated to?

Thanks, Dave.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2002, 05:47   #2 (permalink)

which model 5 speed are you looking at?
BA XR8 Manual, BluePrint, Momo Steering, Momo Shifter, Leather, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Premium Brakes, 20" X 8.5" HP Hekitk Wheels. Herrod Lowering Springs and Chip, Brad Garlic Reprogramme, NO REAR SPOILER.
Kawasaki ZX 10R, Lime Green. 0-100kms/hr 2.8 sec, 0-160kms/hr in under 5.5 sec. 0-400m 9.4 sec. First gear sees you to 185kms/hr. THE CHAMP IS HERE!
Kypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:59   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

manual box for a Falcon

Why not fit a T5? (Original equipment for 6 and V8 with different ratios) Where did the idea come from for the Toyota box? The T5 is reasonably easy to find and fit and is generally robust.Later build ones- late EB on are better). SVO make a short shifter for the box that reduces lever travel about 50%- snick-snick. good stuff!
WhiteRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 17:04   #4 (permalink)

Re: supra 5 speeds

Quote:
Originally posted by NAPARM
Has anyone here considered putting a supra 5 speed in their falcon? And has anyone had any quotes or does anyone know roughly how much it would cost? And how much horsepower are they rated to?
I investigated this as an option to upgrade the gearbox in my EL XR6 rally car. The concensus was that the Supra five speeds are rated to about the same as T5. The twin turbo boxes / 6 speed boxes are a lot stronger, more expensive and harder to fit, and if you had sufficient HP to warrent something stronger than a T5, then the tremec (and not the tremec T5 fitted to many late V8 Falcons, which is a regular T5 with a tremec badge) is the go. It's easy to pick the difference, the tremec weighs about twice as much as a T5, and is a lot bigger.

A T5 will do the job in a standard or mildly worked Falcon, unless you are really hard on the box. The I6 and V8 boxes are different, and can't be swapped.

I hope I have solved the problem in the rally car by getting a close ratio straight cut gear set put into the standard box. The first three gears are all about 4-5mm wider, so hopefully they will hold together. It's not in the car yet - hopefully will be this weekend.

Whiteryder, can't you please pass on the details for SVO - thanks.
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 17:09   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

What i found out was the Supra 6 speed that lives in the Twin Turbo RZ model is a German Getrag brand. It is a top gearbox but being made in Germany it'd be very very expensive.

I think the T5's are a good box, and relatively well priced.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 17:15   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Re: Re: supra 5 speeds

Quote:
Originally posted by rally

Whiteryder, can't you please pass on the details for SVO - thanks.
Info on SVO shifter and pic up soon... Stay tuned...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 17:26   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
What i found out was the Supra 6 speed that lives in the Twin Turbo RZ model is a German Getrag brand. It is a top gearbox but being made in Germany it'd be very very expensive.

I think the T5's are a good box, and relatively well priced.
There's two, the V160 and V161 - slightly different ratios. These gearboxes have the bellhousing fully integrated with the box (like a Holden Gemini), which means fitting one up is not as easy as getting a bellhousing made up to bolt it on. Castlemaine Rod Shop were getting one in to investigate making an adaptor. Price of the box alone, 2nd hand is a lot more than a Tremec.
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Short Shifter

Contact Mike Webb, SVO in Ringwood ph 98768586 re the short shifter. It cost me $375 fitted. It works very well, and makes the standard shift seem very sloppy. It's well made and should be reliable.
WhiteRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 17:47   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

You can bolt a VS (possibly other commo's too) commo shifter (off their t5 of course) on to a Falcon one to give it a short throw feel as the shifter is shorter....
daz
Old 04-17-2002, 05:02   #10 (permalink)
Australian XD Member

roll

You can use a shifter out of an EA 6cyl as they are the same as the ones in the EL GT. They are visually different and it is a shorter throw.
XD XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech