Synthetic engine oil for break in - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2002, 06:12   #1 (permalink)
Lab Rat

Question Synthetic engine oil for break in

When can i start using synthetic engine oil in my new XT 5.4lit V8.
She done 1000km now (ONLY FIVE DAY'S YOUNG) and i wont to change that bloody thin stuff form the factory.
I have some Shell Helix Super in the shed 15w40, so should i just use that till 3000km come along.
Thank
DAVO
DavoXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2002, 07:08   #2 (permalink)

Isnt the oil recommended for the 5.4s something like 0w30? Id be trying to keep to the same oil 'weight' rating otherwise you could be looking at major trouble down the track.....(youd be lucky to get that weight in anything but synthetic also)
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 10:19   #3 (permalink)

DON'T DO IT. You will not bed the rings properly with synthetic oil, and you will end up with a smoker. That stuff from the factory should be a special 'running-in" oil and should be left for the recommended mileage, or, if you want to change it try to get some more of the same stuff from Ford (if you can)

What you do now will influence the long term reliability of the motor.

By the way, what is recommended in the owners manual?
Old 12-22-2002, 12:02   #4 (permalink)

You'll be sorry!

If you want to change, I would suggest Mobil 1 or equivelent!
low428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 16:07   #5 (permalink)

I would recommend that you leave the oil for the recommended period. However like you I don't like the idea of leaving the factory fill in for 10,000km or what ever they recommended.

With my last new car (wifes renault clio) the oil was never changed at the 1500km check and not intended by the agent to change till 10,000km. So at 5000km I could not stand the thought of the original oil and any new machining swarf running around. So I changed the oil and filter using basic mobil super mineral. At 10,000km the agent changed as specified to Mobil super S (semi synth).

With all new cars that I have had over the past few years of have refrained from full synthetic oil till 30,000km. I mean by that time the engine is well and truley bedded in and worn to correct tolerance, only till around then is it worth putting something in that attempts to slow further wear.

I have heard of problems of putting full synthetic in to early as the rings never bed in. Recently I heard of the citreon agent who
had been putting full synthetic in at the 10,000km service, by 20,000km they were re-ringing them, they tried to pin the fault on the factory who quitely pointed out that the local pug agent had no problems, same engines off the same production line, only difference the pugs only got mineral or semi synth in early life.

my 2c

Cheers

Cyril
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 03:22   #6 (permalink)

If you want to change the oil before 3000Km then use all Ford specification gear (Oil & Filter). At least that way if something does go wrong under warranty & they analise the oil it won't appear obvious that you have changed it.

I feel it is best to change the running in oil after 1000 to 1500Km. 3000km as recommended by Ford seems a bit much to me. But does anyone know if Ford run in these engines at the factory. We just got a new company car at work (Nissan Patrol 4.8L) and were told by the dealer that Nissan run in all their engines via a computer controled engine dyno before they are fitted to the vehicle. Maybe Ford do a similar thing.
XAXEXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:23   #7 (permalink)

I know Ford 'hot' test all the motors on an engine dyno before they go in the car (all fluids are up to 'running' temp before they start the engine) I cant remember how long its for but I think its a couple of mins? Not really a true run-in but close enough?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:33   #8 (permalink)

Why are you people so paronoid about lower viscosity engine oils? A lot of development goes into these engines & the lubricants they use . Just leave the bloody oil in it & change it at the recommended interval, you will be better off.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 20:38   #9 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

I have Mobile 1 in my 130,000km ED and its fine, in fact its better, you get more HP from thinner oil. I recon its worth the money. You only need heavy duty oil if the engine is farked, or you own a Taxi.
Old 12-27-2002, 17:42   #10 (permalink)
Lab Rat

Will the ford saleman said they drain the breakin oil on pre-delivery but could'nt comfirm this with the service manager.
Ask what oil there used Valvoline but you can't get dino in Valvoline at grade 5w30 unless you use synthetic?
So if there is a nice dealership out there that can tell me what
dino oil you use toget that weight in a new motor.
Davo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech