T3 air intake setup - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2002, 18:06   #1 (permalink)
FPV - TC NSW Promotions

T3 air intake setup

Does anyone know if the Air Box (which is really like an enclosed pod) from the new TS50 could be fitted to an EL XR8..???????
TICKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2002, 22:27   #2 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member

I've heard the airbox is actually from the Mustang. The inlet goes through the left inner guard instead of up to the bonnet like the old snorkel. So you'd have to be prepared for some inner guard cutout work. Don't know what the gain would be for a standard 302 motor though - they only suck so much air in, and surely Tickford got the intake right at the time?
Old 01-29-2002, 05:08   #3 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

tickin

The airbox is designed for an 80mm MAF so you may find a fair sized mismatch with an EL MAF. You could always swap in the whole setup from airbox to runner hose but then you'd have to calibrate the EEC for the new MAF.

auii xr8

When Ford designed that airbox the most powerful engines using it initially were 165kw which is a lot less than the latest XR8s. In testing on my Sprint using a tecnique I read from <gasp> Autospeed I found that there was 4kPa negative pressure compared to atmospheric when measured at the plastic horseshoe. All was standard except for some removal of webbing in the airbox lid and minor shaping of the MAF adaptor at the lid exit. This was measured using a Dwyer Magnahelic differential pressure gauge with a range of 0-10kPa. Testing was done under heavy load on the street. When I substituted my modified lower airbox which has an extra hole that feeds from the inner fender hole the reading dropped to 2.5kPa. Interesting note was a K&N panel filter only improved on a stock paper filter by 0.1kPa.

Side note. Testing my mate's stock EFII I6 Ghia showed that an AU Tickford snorkel showed a negligable drop in negative pressure compared to a stock jobbie. This is not surprising though considering some of the apparent restriction in the system, particularly where the plastic hose leaves the airbox to towards the engine. Measurement that time was taken from a hole tapped into the system as close to the TB as we could get it.

Anyone interesting in some real world testing of the inlet setups is welcome to use my measuring equipment as long as I get to ride along. Gotta be in Sydney though and on a weekend.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech