Tailshaft dramas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2002, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
nicky87

Question Tailshaft dramas

Hi guys my name is Elaine and I live in Caboolture.

My problem is that today i got the rear gearbox bush and seal replaced and the guy tells me that my tailshaft is wrong, that the yoke is to short.

The guys at the local wreckers say its the wrong T/S.

I am not sure who is right or if either on them are. My EA is a 3.9l 3 speed auto and the T/S is 1380 long.

Can anyone help me I'm desperate and confused........

Thanx
Cya
Elaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2002, 06:20   #2 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Wink G'day

Hello nick87,

The piece that goes into the back of the gearbox, the yoke is the same thoughout all models.Tailshafts length is different from EA to EB then EB to EL is the same length but has different flange at the diff and sizes of tailshaft is shorter about 1100mm from memory.The EA has the same configuration as the XF,4 small pissy 6mm bolts which attatch the flange to the diff.The EB-EL has 4 meater 8mm bolts at the flange thus stronger.There is no real way of getting the two mixed up as they have totally different flang setups and length is too great to reach.The only tailshafts that can get mixed up is from EB to EL as some have a balance weight at one end in auto models,some aluminum and so forth.So I think they are pulling your leg.

It is a common problem for that to leak.They probably replaced it with a steel bush instead of Brass and you will be back to them in about 2 years if the steel one is used.Check to see which type they put in.

On another note you live Queensland,do you know about the EA-ED meet happening on August the 11th??If you go to Meets and cruises of the E series network there are details regrading this meet under Brisbane Meet.If you have any troubles or want to know more Email me at lukeyn39@hotmail.com.

Cya Lukey

New Appointed QLD REP 4 EA -ED club.
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 13:45   #3 (permalink)
nicky87

Lukey,
Thanx for your input it it muchly appreciated. I am off to see them regarding it this morning. I'll keep in mind what you have said. I'll post here later with how I go.
I didn't know about the meet but it could be an idea to go. Is it like the average swap meet or a catch up and drive type meet???
Thanx
Cya
Elaine (aka Nicky87)
Old 07-23-2002, 16:31   #4 (permalink)

The tailshaft in the 3 speed automatic EA is of different length to the tailshaft of the 4 speed automatic EA. One is longer than the other ( or shorter).

Someone might have swapped yours to a 4 speed tailshaft for some reason? Make sure you have the right one.
image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:06   #5 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Thats....

Thats Ok Nicky87,The meet is actually a meet and crusie with about 10 so far other EA-ED enthusiests meeting at Toombul carpark.No one has given me a diffenent Up or Down cruise but like last time it will probably be decided on the day like last time.Majority rules.We aren't having a swap meet as such.

image I thought the 3 and 4 speed tailshafts were the same length.The gearboxs are and in my experience they are only different in yoke at the differential end and the length from Fairlane/wagon to Falcon and of course the EA -EB,EL.Just my thoughts.

I take it you know about the Brisbane meet??I think you turned up to the first one but as it was a flop only stayed for about 2mins.I was one of the guys who flagged you down.

Cya Lukey

New Appointed QLD REP 4 EA -ED club
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech