Tailshaft Unijoints - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2002, 02:41   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question Tailshaft Unijoints

Sometimes when I go over bumps and apply/release throttle (easy driving), there are a few knocks coming from the back (not very loud)! Had the car on the hoist and mechanic had a look at it, nothing is loose and everything looked ok. He did say that seized uni-joints could make a clunking noise.

Any ideas??? The clunks drive me mad sometimes

Thanks!

PS. When i had it on the hoist one of the rubbers on top of the rear springs was not on properly so we thought that was the case, but not!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Manual Man

Could be backlash in your diff. If it's sad it'll need a rebuild, crazy not to do a full one if you've got it down.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:44   #3 (permalink)

Do these knocks ever occur when you are not going over a bump?
If it was the diff, it would happen at other times. Has to be suspension or loose exhaust system. Did he OK the universal joints?
Old 11-20-2002, 18:44   #4 (permalink)

Had the same sort of thing in my mates XF and my XE. Turned out to be uni joints both times. Just replace them. Easy to do on the older Falcons, not sure what you're driving....
DaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 21:56   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

I drive en EL, 93000kms!!

Rang a diff place, i'll take it in for them to have a look at it. On the phone he told me $480 for full rebuild or $790 for full rebuild with 3:45 gears, if i have to rebuild im going the 3:45. It only happens when i go over slight bumps. But the diff does have a bit of backlash in it, like when i put it into R from D say, it sometimes cluncks. But every Falcon i driven does this.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XtRmn8
I drive en EL, 93000kms!!

Rang a diff place, i'll take it in for them to have a look at it. On the phone he told me $480 for full rebuild or $790 for full rebuild with 3:45 gears, if i have to rebuild im going the 3:45. It only happens when i go over slight bumps. But the diff does have a bit of backlash in it, like when i put it into R from D say, it sometimes cluncks. But every Falcon i driven does this.
is that $790 3.45 rebuild drive in drive out? is that an LSD or open centre?

Where abouts in perth? Dont you have to do something with the speedo when changing diff ratio ?
Old 11-21-2002, 04:42   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Fairlane Boy, $790 drive in drive out, and no not LSD i just asked for 3:45 gears so its still the same open center as with the factory 3:08. I am not after 3:45 for LSD burnouts I just want a bit more punch with help from lower gearing. I dont see what other benefit LSD would give me in everyday driving?!?! I just called a place in O'Conner, dunno if its a good idea putting bussines' on here, but i been told they do an awesome job. I dont know if this is too much $$$, I'll call a few others before i do anything.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:43   #8 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

Yeah more info on the diff gears Please! I did a ring around Perth recently and didn't get any quotes lower than about $1100.

Back on topic, I experience exactly the same problems in my EF, I have heard it is caused by the rear shocks. They have to be done up extremely tight and are prone to loosening.

95' EF Falcon Series II
Spinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:50   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinksy
Yeah more info on the diff gears Please! I did a ring around Perth recently and didn't get any quotes lower than about $1100.

Back on topic, I experience exactly the same problems in my EF, I have heard it is caused by the rear shocks. They have to be done up extremely tight and are prone to loosening.
Hmmm, shocks is a new one!! I'll have to check them, i am 90% sure its something to do with suspenssion, coz its only when i go ever bumps. Rear shocks are easy to check, its just the top bolt behind the rear seat, if its loose there they would move up down enough to clunk. Mine is an EL but they are identical.

Back to the diff, if there are a few others here interested PM and i will tell you who it is. Maybe we can all get a discount if a few of us get em done at the same time!
Old 11-21-2002, 05:02   #10 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

Its actually usually the lower mount apparantly, best to get it up on a hoist so you can get some good leverage to tighten it.

The clunking seriously shits me too but I haven't got around to checking them yet.

95' EF Falcon Series II
Spinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech