Tappets?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2002, 19:18   #1 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

Tappets??

i have an EB2 with 170,000 i have a noise issue with in the engine, loud what seems like tapping noises comming from the engine, i first thought it was noisy injectors but they seem fine any help on how i can quiten down this problem would be appriciated as it is starting to really annoy me:oo1:

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

191.3RWHP 15.301@92MPH willowbank raceway. ghay 3.08 single spinner:(
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2002, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

There is a flushing procedure you can go through where the oil is flushed out, replaced with an additive and then you flush and refill with regular oil. Speak to a good mechanic. Apparently it doesn't work if the tappets are really stuffed (mushroomed) but will work if they are just gunky.

Otherwise, replce them.

Hope that helps
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 02:20   #3 (permalink)

whats the procedure? i wanna know as my Mitsubishi FTO is noisy during starup. I cant adjust them or anything, cause their hydrolic.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 06:36   #4 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

yea thanks, ill give that a go, hopefully i wont have to replace them cos they are*&#$ expencive:( well ill give it a try:) ne other ideas ne one cos i really hate the 600+ its going to cost for newbies

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

Old 08-21-2002, 16:16   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Quote:
Originally posted by UNR8D
yea thanks, ill give that a go, hopefully i wont have to replace them cos they are*&#$ expencive:( well ill give it a try:) ne other ideas ne one cos i really hate the 600+ its going to cost for newbies

Ummmm, the other day when I checked them out, a set of lifters for an I6 were a shade under $300 for a set...

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 16:32   #6 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

roll interesting

where did u get quoted that?? im in qld and Qford genuine parts quoted 580 not fitted about a week ago:( ill be interested to see where u got ur prices from:)
:dead:

Old 08-21-2002, 21:07   #7 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Tickford6
There is a flushing procedure you can go through where the oil is flushed out, replaced with an additive and then you flush and refill with regular oil. Speak to a good mechanic. Apparently it doesn't work if the tappets are really stuffed (mushroomed) but will work if they are just gunky.

Hope that helps
This procedure will work on an EB I6 as the valve lash adjusters can't become mushroomed.

Mushrooming is only an issue with cam in block motors where the cam lobe is 'wiping' the bottom of the lifter (tappets), eventually causing the bottom of the lifter to bell out and get momentarily caught in the lifter bore.

If cleaning doesn't work and all of the valve lash adjusters are rattly, might as well replace em, aftermarkets are about 20 squid each, if your mechaincally minded, grab a new rocker cover gasket (get the one with the 'lips'around the edge) and you can easily throw em in yourself.

Oh yep, the VLA's can also be shimmed, but more than likely they are gummed up or worn and shimming isn't worth doing.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 21:11   #8 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

Regarding the flushing procedure, my mechanic told me about it a couple of years ago for my old XF. I know little about it as I decided to put up with sporadic clicking. Any good mechanic with XD/XE/XF experience should know about it. I think the additive is only about $20, but that's about all I know.

Cheers,

Tickford6
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech