tapping noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2004, 02:40   #1 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

tapping noise

After thrashing my car to the video shop and back the other night it stalled on me coming down my street. When I started it back up again there was a tapping sound coming from the engine. It basically sounds like someone tapping the cylinder head with a hammer (like a metallic sound) and it speeds up with the revs of the engine.

I thought it might be the rocker gear so I changed it with a spare set I had and put the standard cam back in. Put it all back together and the noise is still there.

I spoke to a mechanic who said it could be a broken valve spring or a damaged/cracked piston (I hope not)!!!

I also spoke to Bass_crazy who said it might be a burnt valve from too much back pressure in the exhaust (which I guess is possible due to having the two turbos there with a 2.5" system and a possibly blocked cat from the car running rich).

Anyone got any ideas?
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2004, 02:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: tapping noise

Timing Chain/guide
bearings in one of the ancilleries. --- we pulled over in thanatos's car one night coz it had the same kinda noise, thought it was lifters tapping, but was a screwed bearing from memory, Thanatos would know more of what it was in his.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Yer, could be timing chain, guide, gear. Rockers, Valve springs, lifters. Blocked cat, exhaust leak. Any of the ancilleries & belts. The possibilities are huge.

The first step is, figure out exactly where it's coming from. Listen from a few different sides, and try and figure it out. If it sounds like it's coming from inside the engine, rip the rocker cover off, crank it over by hand and see if you can pin-point when it's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
we pulled over in thanatos's car one night coz it had the same kinda noise, thought it was lifters tapping, but was a screwed bearing from memory, Thanatos would know more of what it was in his.
Yer, we were sure it was the lifters, but it turned out to be the bearings in the air-con compressor.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 03:29   #4 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

its coming from the rear RHS of the rocker cover. The timing chain and guides are all fine...they were replaced not too long ago.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:32   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

When you say RHS, do you mean as your facing it? ie. passenger side or drivers side??

Cheers,
Dave

Old 10-02-2004, 03:35   #6 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

yeah if your standing at the front of the car looking at the engine, it's the RHS, so yeah, passenger side.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:44   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Hmmm, my guess is lifters, spring or valve noise...

when you changed the rocker gear, did you change lifters as well??

The other thing you can do, as i said earlier, is take the rocker cover and turn the motor by hand. give all the valve springs and things a careful inspection as you turn it over...

Cheers,
Dave

Old 10-02-2004, 04:11   #8 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

hmm yaeh might have to do that. yeah i changed all the lifters by the way.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:19   #9 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

Update : Changed the cyl head to a EF one that sunny had lying around. Only took 3hrs and cost $23! Not bad eh? Gotta love stoogin' Repco to get trade price on a headgasket lol! Also put on the EF rocker cover.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:23   #10 (permalink)

has it solved it?
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech