Teething problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 04:38   #1 (permalink)

confused Teething problems

Hey Guys,
I've been scouring the posts the last few days looking for some solutions to some teething problems I'm having with my car.

To start of with I am new to the Falcon. Last week I brought an EA 2 Fairmont Ghia and while it is essentially a beautiful car there are some niggling things that me being a perfectionist can't let go. I've brought the Max Ellery workshop manual and am pretty handy with the tools but it doesn't help explain some things or diagnose certain problems.

The first and most irritating problem is the heater. It doesn't blow any hot air. I have replaced the thermostat and the heater tap and still to no avail. I'm also sure the heater core is clear as the top hose is getting quite hot. I read somewhere here that if it was the blender door, a fault would flash on the console when I first start it up and it hasn't. I have also done a self diagnosis by pushing off and footwell at the same time and again nothing. I have checked the vacuum line to the heater tap and that is fine. The only problem I can see is that the passenger footwell has a vent to the left going up with a foam covered door blocking it. This doesn't ever seem to work. Could this be the problem?

The second is that my drivers power window switch has worn out. A little plastic rod with a tip sits inside the switch and the tip has worn out over time. Is there a reconditioning kit available to redo the contacts and that little plastic rod or do I have to buy the whole thing. And does anybody have any idea how much?

The third problem is one of my power windows is making a clicking noise and slipping. Is this the motor or is it something else?

And the forth problem is my fuel gauge. The distance to empty on the trip computer seems accurate at all times but the fuel guage is eratic going up and down at will. Any suggestions here would help. I have taken out the instruments to check for loose wires and didn't find anything.

Thankyou in advance for the replies. I'm looking forward to being one of the falcon faternity and being hopefully a useful member of this site. I guess I'll see some of you at the meets. Before I go I have a white 1990 model that is stock at the moment but after Xmas I am looking at lowering, stereo, air filter, exhaust, chequer plate floor mats, neon lights and the neccasary BLINDIN sticker on the back windsreen. Adios for now

BLINDIN
Blindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2002, 11:42   #2 (permalink)

Check if BOTH heater hoses are the same temp after warming up, if one is colder than the other, you probably have a blocked core.

See if you can get a workshop manual for it, makes life easier.
Old 11-19-2002, 13:34   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I am having the same dramas with the passenger side fottwell vent.....if it is not opening then it is probably a broken flap arm which is controled via your fresh/recirculate lever on the dash. This being broken will not stop your heater from working though....it would have to be something to do with the blender door or some sort of directional problem...there are a few guys on here who have completely removed these things so perhaps they'd be able to assist you further.

I suggest you have a read through Jacks story "My EA" under the Buying Tips link at eafalcon.com it is very intersting and touches on a few of the things you have mentioned.

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:07   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I went and read Jacks story about his EA and now know that my window is due to a regulator. Is this hard to fit yourself and is it $80 new or second hand? Unfortunately it didn't have the answers to all my questions. My heater inlet hose and my outlet hose are the same temp so it can't be a blocked heater core. Also doesn't the climate control flash at start up if it is the blend door motor. Anyway I'll keep trying to fix these little problems.

By the way can anybody tell me how to do this self test for fault codes. According to the workshop manual once you install the test wire your computer should flash but mine doesn't seem to have any lights to flash with.

Blindin
Old 11-20-2002, 13:56   #5 (permalink)
So Play Nice

MAte the regulators installed at Ford are $300. I know I had to do one recently.

Jacks price should be second hand or I got ripped off really bad.

Pete
OFR #23

Member - ATPS - Automatic Transmission Preservation Society

SVO Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:14   #6 (permalink)

Read Computer Speak....

After attaching the test wire to the diagnostics connector you need to use a multimeter to measure the current of the other pins. The computer creates a set of pulses (varying levels of voltage in sequence). Capturing these pulses is the hard part. it's kinda like morse code. Long pulse, short pulse, long pulse at a different stage in the test cycle could mean code 12. Whcih tells you that x is not within parameters.

For a better explanation look here;

http://www.autoemf.com.au/eec4test.htm

Or buy a book that explains that stuff. The Haynes manual (36731) Titled: "Ford Falcon/Fairlane, 1988 thru 1993 - 6 cylinder engines etc." contains some good information about it.
EBFairmontS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 17:05   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

One thing to check with the heater would be the lever behind the glove box. Just pull out the glove box and have a look. There is a little plastic thing that has a wire connecting to it.

If the wire is functioning correctly, when you set the temperature high, it should go upwards, if you set it cool, it should go down. If it doesn't do anything then push it up and turn the fan on. If hot air comes out, your problem is solved. There is something wrong with the little lever.

I don't know if it will be there in a climate control equipped car though. I know that this can be the problem in a non-c/c car.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 17:35   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Baeddan
MAte the regulators installed at Ford are $300. I know I had to do one recently.

Jacks price should be second hand or I got ripped off really bad.

Pete
Mine were meant to be reconditioned I think. Haven't given any trouble anyway.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:58   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to get some prices for a window regulator on the weekend, both new and second hand. I'm also going to buy the power window switches and replace them. Unfortunately with the heater I think I will have to pull it out. Thanks for the suggestion Sundeep but my climate control doesn't have any levers that I can see. It was the first thing I looked for. I'll probably have to spend a day or two on the weekend pulling it all out. :-( Normally I wouldn't bother but I can't stand things that are wrong with my car. Anyway thanks again.

Blindin
Old 11-22-2002, 02:10   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Are you sure? This lever is behind the glove box. I'm pretty sure it'd be there...

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech