Thanks for all the help.. after I wrote my last post, I had another try at the tranny hoses, and found that the joiner down further is easier to get open (not the one ON the radiator). After a big more pushing and pulling, I got it out, big flush through with the hose, got the water comming out clear after a lot of time, then I sprayed the gunk out from between the filaments, so I could actually see through the radiator.
Removed the big leaves from around / underneath the radiator, put it back in, got it all connected, in with the coolant, and away it went.
The only problem is, I left it idling and the LPG unit froze over (it obviously cools TOO well..), after it thawed out, it ran great
It barely gets more than half-way along the normal section, and usually sits lower and drops much lower when you ease off the accelerator. For $20 of coolant fluid, it was a very worthwhile job :)
TQE, SWB, ATPS, Worst of the E-series.. and I wouldn't have it any other way