Tf Cortina Ghia Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2003, 17:04   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

roll Tf Cortina Ghia Problems

Hi guys just wondering about the TF Cortina Ghia, My brother in law has got one and its just gone out fo reg. The motor has just been rebuilt and its got a good diff. The single rail 4 spd is a bit iffy but im sure i can source another , Has some rust in it not much but.

What are the major problems with these cortinas and is $350 a good buy he just wants another car thats all. What should i check out. I want to get rid of the rust, book it in for a rwc and go from there. Its going to be my work car from geelong to melbourne and can i wack a gas system in the boot.

Thnaks any info would be great

Steve B
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2003, 18:28   #2 (permalink)

Cortinas are well known for having electrical problems, particularily with the dash. Also they are fairly average in the handling department, especially the 6cyl models, terminal bodyroll and understeer when pushed hard. A good set of swaybars, shocks and springs are a must IMO.

The single rail gearboxes are different in Cortinas to Falcons (shifter comes up in different spot) so be aware of this if buying one second hand. I think you can interchange the rear extension housings between the Falcon and Cortina boxes so all is not lost if you pick up the wrong one. The syncro rings tend to go, especially in second gear if you give it a hard time and the thread on the shifter where it goes into the gearbox wears out after a while (the gearshift can come out in your hand if you are doing a racing change!). You can get around this to some extent by putting a radiator hose clamp around the metal tabs on the bottom of the shifter. I think there was some mob doing some trick aftermarket shifter for them but they were arounf $5-600 (can't remember who or where - if interested try somewhere like Mal Wood in Qld).

Also, if you do excessive burnouts you can rip the rear upper control arms out of the floor. I used to do heaps of burnouts in my turbo 6 TD Cortina and never had this prob but I have heard of others that have.

For $350 you really can't expect too much.

Another thing to watch out for if you have a vinyl roof is for rusting under it. Best thing you can do is to get rid of the vinyl IMO.

Hope this helps.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 14:05   #3 (permalink)

I had a TF Ghia and found it to be an excellent car. Most of the problems I had were related to the fact that it was so low the front crossmember was only 2" off the bitumen. I had to rebuild the gearbox and the rear suspension bushes needed to be replaced at about 140,000 Km. Mine was a 3.3 though so I uess that a 4.1 would wear out these bits sooner. The seat backs broke at the base, I think similar problems were had with the XD. Check the fuel tank for cracks in the bottom caused by the float bouncing on an empty tank, I had to glue mine up a couple of times. I didnt have any rust issues but mine was kept shedded most of the time.
Regds,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 14:20   #4 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

I had a cortina TE Ghia and I loved it!! Only problems I had was clutch, clutch cable, rear control arm broke (15min job to replace) and well my motor went as well but I fixed that with a XF EFI hotty.
First mod is suspension though cause as mentioned earlier they are little boats with the standard setup.
Like Falcoon said the rear housing on the gear boxes is differant but a falcon box (including the XF 5 speed) will fit perfectly.
for $350 it's a bargain but I'd spend about $2000 to get it perfect.
If it's a 4cyl I'd stay away though cause you want the 6 for the power!
Old 02-21-2003, 23:07   #5 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

ive got a TF corty 4cyl auto. main problems so far are the kick-down, the tappets, 2 burnt valve's, exhaust leak and rust unter the old vynil. all of which were easy for my dad and myself to fix. not bad for $150.

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech