Ford Forums banner

thermofan installation

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  xf351gt 
G
#1 ·
Just installed a 16" thermofan on the coupe this week. All runs pretty well except for the leak on the top radiator hose at the inlet. Anyone who's installed one of the Davies-Craig thermofans will know that there is a sender unit for the thermostat that runs into the radiator at this point. The leak is fairly bad. Any advoce or tips on how to fix this? I'd prefer a permanent solution rather than a temporary one like silastic.

Cheers,
Ian.

G
#2 ·
A Davies-Craig thermo fans should have in the kit a piece of rubber with a groove going through the middle so the copper tubing sits inside the groove then placing it inside the radiator hose in the area where the hose clamp will be tightened, this would solve the leak problem.

Do you have this?
and/or
Have you tighten the hose clamp as much as possible?

#4 ·
yeah i use that thermoswitch, it sucks for leaks!!! i have managed to stop it to a drop once in a while, using that rubber sleeve thingo and a little silastic and tightening up the hose clamp tighter than i would like, but it works.

ebgtedxr8 (? forget correct name..) sells switches that screw into the thermostat housing, and they are heaps better, i have one on order.

instead of this, try any pre-efi front drive cars, they should have thermoswitches to run electric fans, you will just have to find one that comes on at the right temp. i only thought of this after ordering the switches so i cant reccomend a model...

#5 ·
GTHO4 said:
A Davies-Craig thermo fans should have in the kit a piece of rubber with a groove going through the middle so the copper tubing sits inside the groove then placing it inside the radiator hose in the area where the hose clamp will be tightened, this would solve the leak problem.

Do you have this?
and/or
Have you tighten the hose clamp as much as possible?
When I did mine I found I had to silicone this rubber piece in, because it still leaked by itself. This proved to be a permanent solution.

G
#6 ·
Cheers guys,
for the record it did have the piece of rubber with the slit. Using two clamps sounds like a good option which didn't even come to mind. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks for all the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.