thermos - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2002, 23:57   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

thermos

Whenever i start to drive my car a little harder than usual, usually through hills or somthing it starts to get fairly warm, to the point in which i have to slow down. I have had my radiator flushed and use new tectaloy and that helped alot, but to keep it cool under high reving i though i would need a large set of thermos.
I was going to purchase a set of craig davies, but have been told by an auto sparky mate that EL air con fans are perfect and only cost 250, better than craigs he reakons.
Anyone used em? any EL owners have any probs with heating up? i have been told they are a dual 12 inch fan setup.
thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2002, 02:09   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Carefull that you havn't got some pre-ignition causing
overheating.Fix the problem first otherwise you might be chasing
your ass!
But those E.L fans do a good job.One thing with the new V8's though I don't hear too many over heating.The E.L's fans work off the eec but I guess there is a way around that with a D/Craig thermo switch..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 03:39   #3 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Had a similar issue with my Ute, prblem was all to do with the bypass system, to much water bypassing the radiator, which caused it to overheat underload, eg Up the SE Freeway.
All to do with a dodgy gas installation....
Old 03-29-2002, 15:55   #4 (permalink)
known as tibbo

thermos

i modded a set of el fans,,used em on XD 302..they were sweet mate..i notched the shround out slightly to clear the lower rad hose clamp..but no dramas

to wire them was ez...but my setup was a little odd

the low speed one was wired to the accessories with the key.(ie; constanstly spun whenever motor was running)
the other was on a switch with an LEd mounted on the fascia panel .....they ware completely independant of each other which was reliable way of making sure that one would always work..

i live in Bris and it gets hot here and it was only on long drives or racing around that i ever turned the second one on

there are kits around for install them but 2 relays and 2 60amp fuses and your away

hope it helps
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 00:21   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Quote:
Originally posted by ebxr8240
Carefull that you havn't got some pre-ignition causing
overheating.Fix the problem first otherwise you might be chasing
your ass!
But those E.L fans do a good job.One thing with the new V8's though I don't hear too many over heating.The E.L's fans work off the eec but I guess there is a way around that with a D/Craig thermo switch..
Shouldnt be that it was just tuned, thanx everyone. :)
Old 03-30-2002, 02:59   #6 (permalink)
European Member

You shouldn't use tectaloy coolant only genuine Ford as non genuine causes the head to eat itself away. It only costs about $70 for 8 litres of the Ford stuff (which takes it up to a 50% concentration) to achieve maximum protection.
sjwau2xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 21:22   #7 (permalink)
Battens PerformanceTuning

Yes, I use the el thermo fans on my ed and have fitted them to about 4 other falcon xr's as well.
I also make a wiring harness that I sell for around $80.00. I develped my system in the northwest, I can sit around the 200k mark all day in 45 degree heat and the car does not get hot.

Give me a message if you want to know more.
Old 03-31-2002, 23:52   #8 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by EDxr8EBgt
I develped my system in the northwest, I can sit around the 200k mark all day in 45 degree heat and the car does not get hot.

At that sort of speed you wouldn't even need fans....Fans really only work when you have insufficient airflow due to slow road speed
Old 04-01-2002, 02:03   #9 (permalink)
Battens PerformanceTuning

Jesmol, you quoted.

"At that sort of speed you wouldn't even need fans....Fans really only work when you have insufficient airflow due to slow road speed"

This can be true to a certain degree or should I say speed. The front end of your car is such like a brick at these speeds and the shroud behind the radiator does not help matters. As I found with mine and the many others that I have modified, there is insufficient heat transfer with a stock system with high engine loads in the NorthWest heat ,even at idle any car up there is prone to higher running temps depending on system condition also not forgetting to take into acount that the higher the altitude you are the lower the boiling temp.(basic phisics.)
Tell me how your car runs in the NorthWest at 45 degree heat doing 200k per hour for 700 klms and then get back to me.
EDxr8EBgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:29   #10 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

XR8XTC, I don't know that your problem is the same as the one I had a while back but I'll relate my story in case it proves of help.

About a year ago I noticed as summer came on that my temp would be fine and happy unless the engine revs got over 2600 rpm - at which point the temp would begin rising quite rapidly and I would have to slow down in order to stop it reaching the red. Also on occasion the temp would rise to half scale while idling (ie. waiting at the shop while family were getting vids and chips etc. inside) - which it never used to do.

I flushed the system and changed the thermostat - no change. I then got a brand new clutch for the fan - no change. I then bought a new radiator for $230 - problem fixed.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech