Thermos - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2002, 03:01   #1 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Thermos

i just brought a set of ef thermos to put on my ea, there are 2 fans , 1 which is a twin speed and 1 which is a single speed (aircon)

Do you need to run twin thermo switches to controll the diffrent fan speeds of the twin speed fan

AM i right in assuming it only goes to high speed when the a/c is on and the car gets HOT?

thermo switches are $50 each now so im up for $100 without even buying relays etc

Any help would be appreciated

ash
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2002, 21:56   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

im not sure what you mean by one of the fans being two speed...i was under the impression that ford sets the ef fans up to both run low and high speed, by some switching that runs them in series for low speed and then in parralell for high speed.

i have EF fans in my car, i bought a davies craig switch to start off with, and set them up to both come on when the temp was high enough, with only 1 fan coming on when AC is on.

then i heard about some switches you can get from EBGTXR8 (i think thats his name?!?!?) and i got one that goes on at 95/off at 87 and also on at 105 and off at 92 (i think thats the temps)

i cost about $70, thats including postage and everything - he is in perth im in brisbane.

what i thought of after i had bought the switch though, if you wanted to spend some time researching you could use temp switches from a pre-computer controlled front drive car, something from the early 90s late 80s, just find out what car has a thermofan that is switched at the temps you want and then go to the wreckers and pocket one.

maybe a telstar or something...would be cheaper and neater if you drill and tap a switch into your thermostat housing then using a crap davies craig switch, they leak all the time.

you need to get a really cool thermostat though, i got one from repco thats about 82 degrees, if you keep the standard one it 'fights' the fans and you engine temps see-saw really quickly, not good for preserving your head gasket.

the switch i got was massive, too big to put in the housing, so i got a EF thermostat housing and top hose, cut the hose and got a piece of exhaust pipe, cut and flared it, then drilled and tapped a hole, fitted the switch and siliconed it in. doesnt leak (if you do this remember to flare the ends of the pipe or the hose doesnt stay on!)

here is a pic of what i did, taken from the back of the engine bay looking forewards:

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:24   #3 (permalink)

thermos

ok this is how the hayne manual says they work

all models have a single speed and a 2 speed electric fan mounted in a plastic shroud attatched to the back of the radiator

fan operation is controlled both by the pcm and a relay system, which incorpirates the high and low-speed fan relays and the air conditioning relay. the coolant temp sensor signals the pcm of engine temp, and the pcm sends a signal to the appropriate relay to select the correct fan speed. The HIGH fan speed portion of the fan only operates when the engine is HOT and the air. con is on

On the single speed fan motor there is only a black earth wire and a violet with yellow stripe power wire. On the 2 speed fan there are 3 wires: a pink with wite stripe earth wire and two orange power wires one for low and one for high (fan speed operation)

Has any body purchased the Kit off of ebgtxr8 and knows if the fan system works as i described

if i buy it from him is it just a loom i have to wire in or do i have to find and install thermo switches etc,etc
Old 11-24-2002, 03:46   #4 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i think you can mix and match, get the whole lot or just a switch..he does send instructions and everything with his kits apparently, i dont know what the kits cost i only bought a switch off him, there are a few people on FF who have his kits and they rekon they are great.

do you know if the EF and EL fans are differnt? i thought i had EF ones but im also pretty sure that both my fans have only 1 power and earth each.... i will have to check tomorrow - when i got them they came with a wiring harness on them. well, it was sort of a wiring harness, the guy i bought them off had fitted them to his ED and then taken them off because he couldnt get the thermoswitch to stop leaking :( so i got them really cheap :) and he had some strange ideas about how to wire them up, he used about 3 metres more cable than i did and 5 or so relays...i couldnt figure out how he wired them up so i started from scratch.

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 11-24-2002, 03:49   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

sorry double post....*smacks head*

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 11-24-2002, 11:56   #6 (permalink)

EF has 4 relays and one fan has two speeds
EL has 3 relays and single speed fans.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:36   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

coolies that means i have EL ones then.

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 11-25-2002, 04:29   #8 (permalink)

My fan comes on when the aircon is on, but then kicks in high speed when the fan speed is set to boost. But they also go on high when the temp is high enough.

Also, the fan(s) kick in high speed with just the fan speed on boost, aircon off. Is this normal??
Old 11-25-2002, 23:13   #9 (permalink)

i just returned the ef fans and swapped them over for el items, which will hopefully be easier to set up
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech