Thermos again.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Desiring 800HP

Thermos again....

hey peoples,
just wondering for those that have put ef/el thermos on there car how do i go about wiring them up? I got a wiring loom of a wrecked eb that had thermos, it came with 2 earths, one relay, temperature switch with copper probe that goes in the radiator hose and one other wire which i guessed was power, so i hooked it all up like in the eb but i put the power wire straight on the battery instead of the way they had it joined to a blue yellow wire that goes to the windscreen water bottle (im guessing ign on wire) I let the car run for a while and it started to go above half way and the fans never came on.
I just want to know if i have enough connections here and on the temp switch dial is + fans come on hotter and - fans come on at a cooler temp?
cheers
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 17:50   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Thermos again....

Use a test lamp to see if you have a hot wire to switch relay ?Though it can be done using an earth to switch .. At first I'd run it seperate from key so it turns on when hot to isolate any probs with switching..It should be a 40 amp 5 pin with two curcuits?? 2 X20 amp ??
Hot wire it temp to check that it works, if you havn't already...These fans draw a fair few amps..The previouse owner may have switched through washer switch ??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 17:59   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Another place to wire the power to is the dizzy power supply wire - it's close, easy, and relatively thick, so it should handle the extra current OK.
But yeah I agree with ebxr8240, try hotwiring it first - AFAK, signal is 12 volt supply, best bet is probably to short it across the back of the thermostat (presuming it's only got 2 pins). If the power is wired up to a constant on, you should get life from the fans.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Desiring 800HP

yeh now that u mention it this car did have a wire goin to the windsreen bottle and then he had wired from the engine bay loom to the distributor! i just want to get the fans goin for now and sort it out later how can i get them goin if i only have one wire, what do you mean by hot wire??
Old 07-07-2003, 18:59   #5 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Wiring Thermos

The way it should be wired:-

The thermo switch (unit on the other end of the copper probe) should have two connectors on it.
One of these should go the chassis (aka negative or earth)
The other terminal should go to the relay terminal 85 (if a standard relay)
The terminal opposite is 86 and that should go to a +12v circuit that is only powered when the ignition is on. The +Ve to the coil is OK to use.

The relay should be at least a 30A type but a 40A would be preferred.

The switch contacts on the relay will be numbered 87 and 30.
One of these (say 30) should go to the +ve on the battery via a fuse.
The fuse should be 15A per fan so if two fans use 30A fuse. You could also use a 20A per fan fuse size but not any larger.
Use a fuse holder like a Narva 54382BL (for 3AG glass fuse) or 54406BL (for standard blade fuse).
Other relay terminal (87) would go to one wire on the fan(s) with the other fan wire(s) connecting to the chassis or to the -ve battery terminal.

Do Not's -
Do not power Fans from the ignition circuit or washer wiring (or any other existing circuits). These do not have the current handling to supply the power needed by the added Fan(s) with 10A to 15A each. You will burn out the wiring or blow fuses.

Do not connect the fans to the battery without a fuse to protect the wiring. Go to a wrecker and see how many cars are there with burned engine bays (lack of fuses and modified wiring is a common cause).

Do not connect to the alternator but always connect to the Battery via a fuse.

The fans are normally mounted inside the radiator so try the fan wiring connections so you get the fan sucking air through the radiator and blowing into the engine bay.

You can test the relay to see if the pin numbers are as described by temporary connections before wiring in all in permanently.
You can test the thermo switch by insterting the bulb into a saucepan of water on the stove, bringing it to the boil and testing that the switch clicks on, remove the bulb and stick under half hot/half cold water out of the tap and check it switches off.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.

Last edited by Muzza; 07-07-2003 at 19:19.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 19:09   #6 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Thermos

Oh, forgot to mention.

What you have is non-standard and sounds like a Davies-Craig type of aftermarket add-on (not that the EA-ED had thermofans anyway). These fans are good and are used by many people in all sorts of cars.
I've put them into several cars wired as I described above.

For the E series my personnal preference are the EL thermos with a dual thermoswitch and a four relay assembly that mimics the EL models fan operation.
I make my own relay looms but there is a guy in Perth (threads in this forum) who sells the complete kits.

Depends on what looks you wish to achieve and at what expense.
What you have should work fine.

One word of warning - do not just wire the fans up to a toggle switch to manually turn them on and off - you are at risk of killing your engine if you forget to turn the fans on - use the thermo switch and a relay.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.

Last edited by Muzza; 07-07-2003 at 19:11.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

if you look at the link below you should find a thread containing a wiring diagram and some usefull info about thermo fan conversions...

Clutch Fan To Thermos

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:59   #8 (permalink)
Desiring 800HP

thanks muzza, but im still unsure as to how this wiring harness was working in the donor car. From what i see i have a 5 point relay with 1) goin to earth 2) and 3) goin to thermo switch 4) goin to thermos and 5) is a lose wire that i assume is ment to go to +12v.
Im guessing for the wiring to come off an eb the fans must have been working and i took every connection that was on the eb and put them on my car, he had only one wire coming from the relay that needed to be connected to something everything else was either goin to earth, thermo switch or thermo fan....what am i missing here cause i cant get the fans to work the way they were on the eb???
Old 07-09-2003, 21:16   #9 (permalink)
Desiring 800HP

Well until i sort out what is happening with the temp switch can someone tell me how to get one fan working for now so i can drive the car. Is the black wire with yellow strip coming from the fuel relay ok to tap into for ign on for the fan?? I want to just run an ign on with a fuse and an earth to one fan for now until i sort something out.
Old 07-09-2003, 21:24   #10 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Just put a relay in and use the wire you mentioned to switch the relay on and off, and source the power from the battery direct, as a temp solution.

The aftermarket installs talk about using the big yellow wire direct from the back of the alternator, you may want to do that.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech