They told me I have to replace my engine? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24   #1 (permalink)

Question They told me I have to replace my engine?

Hi,

Total newbie here, don't know much about cars, so bear with me - I'm hoping to get some good advice.

I have a 99 Ford Explorer which I love. Currently, it has 140K miles on it. I've known for some time that I have a timing chain issue, but was trying to hold off until I had some bucks together to have it repaired. I took it to the dealer today, and they told me that I need a whole new engine. Oh, they could fix it for about $2500, but they recommended a new engine for about $5100 instead, with a 3 year warranty. Or, I could go with a used engine, for around $3500.

So what should I do? And if I go with a used engine, how many miles should I be looking at? And do these prices seem right? I'm just a girl - I don't want to be taken advantage of.

On the plus side, they put me in a nifty little red Mustang loaner car free of charge, probably to get on my good side . . .

Thanks much,

KC
KCMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 06:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: They told me I have to replace my engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMiller
Hi,

Total newbie here, don't know much about cars, so bear with me - I'm hoping to get some good advice.

I have a 99 Ford Explorer which I love. Currently, it has 140K miles on it. I've known for some time that I have a timing chain issue, but was trying to hold off until I had some bucks together to have it repaired. I took it to the dealer today, and they told me that I need a whole new engine. Oh, they could fix it for about $2500, but they recommended a new engine for about $5100 instead, with a 3 year warranty. Or, I could go with a used engine, for around $3500.

So what should I do? And if I go with a used engine, how many miles should I be looking at? And do these prices seem right? I'm just a girl - I don't want to be taken advantage of.

On the plus side, they put me in a nifty little red Mustang loaner car free of charge, probably to get on my good side . . .

Thanks much,

KC
I think a second opinion is a VERY good idea... do nothing until a mechanic you know and trust tells you the truth...
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29   #3 (permalink)

Hmm,
i'm with ATEC, get further opinions.
A timing chain issue is no biggie, and with only 140,000 on it, can't be that bad.

If it hasn't actually stopped yet, then there will be stuff all,if any damage done.

If it still runs, get an independant (non ford, or other manufacturer) opinion. preferably a shop with an owner who looks like your great great grandfather!....these guys hate wasting customers money

If it has stopped...still get another opinion. Whilst i am not familiar with the explorer in this area, some cars when the timing chain/belt fails, the pistons whack the valves and the units toast, others can fail, be replaced with no ill effects.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:46   #4 (permalink)

Actually, I did originally take it to the local mechanic who usually does the work on the car - they keep it running sound! They were the ones who told me what was wrong, and that I should take it to the dealership for repair, as it was beyond their abilities.

They just called, and to fix the chain would be about $2500. To replace the engine with one with 61K miles on it would be $3300,with a one year warranty. And to replace the engine with a brand new one with a 3 year 36K mile warranty would be $5500.

Oh, and about $650 to replace the passanger side rearview mirror and fix the drivers side passanger door that won't open any more . . .

It's a good thing I don't need a new car, huh?

KC
KCMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 17:33   #5 (permalink)
wasnt me

honestly i wouldnt touch it, i've seen (and heard) many explorers with a noisy chain but havent seen a failure yet. my cousins 98 has about 160k and the chain has sounded awful for thousands of miles. i say drive it till she blows and if it does blow dont go to the dealer, ask friends/family/coworkers for a good shop recomendation that will do a big job like an engine. that timing chain price is nuts, used engine price is a little steep, and the new engine price isnt too bad as long as its a BRAND NEW engine not a remanufactured one. a dealer will always push for the most expensive option and dealers are almost always more expensive than a regular shop, they want to sell you an engine not just a chain and a few gaskets.

is that door accident damage? let a body shop handle the door if it is or even if its just the handle/latch/etc and for a mirror there are aftermarket ones on ebay for cheap, the one i installed on my cousins has worked for over a year now plus its an easy job that your regular mechanic could do or to save on labor the body shop could do while fixing the door. junkyard stuff is an option too.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:37   #6 (permalink)

from the research ive done, it is only a little problem, the tensioners are faulty in these motors, in the usa there was a recall, in some cases it is just a simple unscrew of the tensioner and then replace, if the chain or guide has gone, then pretty much it has to be a ford job as they didnt add timing marks to re-align everythin, so you hav to get nice expencive tools to fit a new chain or guide, if it has let go, hav some1 test ur valves, if there is no problem with them then just get a new chain an tensioner fitted, if they hav gone i suggest that the secondhand motor is the go, i dont know many people with an extra 5 grand to throw round, and then if that starts making the same noise get a new tensioner strait away,
i hope this is helpfull,
if you need any more info check the usa sites they hav alot of info on these motors
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:52   #7 (permalink)
I used to know this stuff

Is it the 4.0 engine?????..if so, It is TSB 02-7-6
Total time allowed is 6.1 hours

The Ford quote on over $5 k for a new engine installed is too high; ck w/other local dealers...then try Jasper engines or go fo the used engine
Old 07-31-2006, 08:23   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
Hmm,

A timing chain issue is no biggie

if it's a 4.0L V6 then yeah it is. it's engine out and alot of workshops wont touch it for the reasons Gruesome outlined. to me that makes it a biggie

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:01   #9 (permalink)
I used to know this stuff

the shop labor is 6.1 hours at a Ford dealer; is there another local delaer to get a quote from?
We have 5 Ford dealers here; 3 are on verge of being closed down for scam on many things incl not paying-off trade-in's... overcharging; sellin major accident vehicles w/no mention of same to customer, etc., etc.
There must be a dealer that has a good rep; find it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech