Thoughts On Oil Additives - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2001, 03:19   #1 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

roll Thoughts On Oil Additives

I was just wondering what thoughts you guys had on oil additives like Nulon etc.
Does anyone use them?
Has anyone got any proof either to support or go against them.
By oil additives i'm not refering to things like 'stop smoke' either.
:oo1:
Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2001, 03:25   #2 (permalink)
GTHO4

Personally I don't see it being any benefit unless the engine is old or burning oil.
Regular oil change and the right oil like every 5000km's would keep the internals of an engine clean.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:13   #3 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Don't use anything with teflon in it ie; nulon,slick 50, fortron etc etc. Very bad for engines. Plus many of these additives have heavy metals which combine with other chemicals to cause acids to form which will eat your bearing shells.

I use "Eliminates Friction"(or EF) by Horizon products in Perth.
I gained 18rwhp on my cleveland with this stuff. You only need 3% of it in your engine oil too. Unlike all these other crap additives that require one or more bottles. It has no teflon, no heavy metals and no distillates(which dilute your oil).

Pete.
Old 11-04-2001, 15:11   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR9UTE
....... You only need 3% of it in your engine oil too. Unlike all these other crap additives that require one or more bottles. .......
Pete.
By my calculations 3% of 5.5litres (AU) is 165cc which is very close to "one bottle"

I have seen and heard many excellent reports on Nulon in particular. I have used it for years in my cars and 2 stroke motorbikes and havent had or heard of any problems.
I use it in the engine, trans, powersteer and diff. No problems at all.
My engine seems to rev more freely with Nulon added. I use E30 in the engine. I still change the oil at regular intervals.
batbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 15:19   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Yeah i'm with Mbrown42, i have used Nulon E30 in-conjuction with Mobil One and my engine is now 198k and it sounds and drives as good as when i took it of the showroom floor.

Mbrown,
Recently i've switched to E-20. But i'm thinking i should continue with E-30 when do you think it's best to switch from E-30 to E-20.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 15:59   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Well, from where I sit, having done REAL fleet analysis on some of the additives out there, they are all rubbish. Use a good oil to start with and you will have no problems.

One product that did work was LTM Filtration. Uses a micro-bypass filter that has proven to be very effective on the diesel engines we trialled them on.

Additives - blllaaahhhhhh!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 16:33   #7 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Well, from where I sit, having done REAL fleet analysis on some of the additives out there, they are all rubbish. Use a good oil to start with and you will have no problems.

Additives - blllaaahhhhhh!
I agree with Pete, they're a waste of time. I've seen engines die, because people have put additives in their oil and turned it into treacle. I've also seen the crap that comes off injectors when people think they can be cleaned with an additive. Additives are a waste of time and money and will more than likely cost you more in the long run IMHO...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 16:37   #8 (permalink)

Right on Jase.

We had a number of trials and in one case on a heavy duty diesel the vendor was doing the testing and feedng us results. The oil tests showed great results, but I got to talking to one of the other engineers and we smelt a rat. We took an oil sample ourselves and sent it to Mobil for analysis. The metals were way high and the neutralisation number so far off the scale it was a joke.

We pulled the engine down after telling the vendor to take off. It was cactus! And I mean the crank was a throwaway for starters. $80,000 later we proved the stuff was junk.

Don't believe these snake oil merchants!

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 11-04-2001, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Right on Jase.

We had a number of trials and in one case on a heavy duty diesel the vendor was doing the testing and feedng us results. The oil tests showed great results, but I got to talking to one of the other engineers and we smelt a rat. We took an oil sample ourselves and sent it to Mobil for analysis. The metals were way high and the neutralisation number so far off the scale it was a joke.

We pulled the engine down after telling the vendor to take off. It was cactus! And I mean the crank was a throwaway for starters. $80,000 later we proved the stuff was junk.

Don't believe these snake oil merchants!
Unfortunately this generalisation about "snake oils" is the reason that EF will not get the recognition it deserves. Don't get me wrong I was exactly the same. I refused to believe anything was capable of reducing friction that much.

I have seen the results of this substance and it's nothing short of amazing. There are truck companies using this in the north west and have reduced diff and trans failures to ZERO! Formally they would get only 15 000 K's from a Diff. They've even put a few drops in the wheel bearings(which previously failed after 50,000) and have since had NO failures.
These guys tried oil coolers,changing oil after each run, other additives the lot. They've logged diff and trans temps and with EF observed reductions of 80 to 150 degrees!
Oil analysis reveals wear metal content a fraction of what it was.

One Truck guy in Esperance has gone from 1.4K/Litre to 1.1K/Litre fuel economy.

Pete.
Old 11-04-2001, 17:59   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR9UTE
One Truck guy in Esperance has gone from 1.4K/Litre to 1.1K/Litre fuel economy.

Pete.
Horse Cr*p. Sorry, but 21.5% improvement in fuel consumption by oil additives is crock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech