Tibbe Lock Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2002, 19:39   #1 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Tibbe Lock Conversion

I am thinking about converting my EA to Tibbe locks. Will the new locks just fit in the existing holes? I may even put EF/EL door handles in, I never use the passenger side lock from the outside. Will there be any problems fitting the ignition barrel? Does anyone know if its best to get the locks from a wrecker or if Ford sell lock sets? Is it possible so set up a smartlock system in an EA?? The central locking is already in place.
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2002, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Not sure about smartlock, but the Tibbe locks are available from Ford - apparently the all-up cost is only $80 or so. This thread may offer some assistance.

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...ighlight=tibbe

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 22:13   #3 (permalink)
EA Ford Fanatic

I converted my ea s-pak to a tibble lock system. I bought the plastic poles and tibbles from ford and it only set me back $20 if not less. If you already have the central locking actuators the only thing I would suggest is buying new door trims so the tibbles fit flush. Converting them is a pain. I bought EB fairmont trims from the wreckers, cleaned them and installed them for about $140, all four. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:43   #4 (permalink)
donuts2001

Nah don't buy new door trims... just get out the old trusty stanley knife and dodgy the door trims up a bit so the tibbe lock thing sits in there flush like I did. Just make sure you cut it out decent like, because the old non-tibbe hole will show if you don't cut it evenly.
Old 09-18-2002, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
EB wagon

Im with donuts there, just cut the lock holes square so the lock buttons fit. I also did this. Be careful tho cos the length of the EA lock is axactly the same as the EB locks so dont go cuttin lengthwise or you will have small gaps on each side of the button.
You only need to make them wider towards the inside of the trim.
Dont bother with smartlock... it would be a pain in the ass to install coz u need to get an ECU with smartlock built in and only EB2 had them and was with the 4.0L so i dont know what kind of trouble you might get there. Just get an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser installed. Most alram systems now have a shock sensor built in so they far out do the smartlock system..

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:30   #6 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

I just had a chat with my mate whos a Ford mecho, and he reckons that the tibbe locks are a pain in the rear end to put on a steering column of an EA/NA, and as with the smart lock, not to waste you time because it involves alot to much work, and it isnt really worth it
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Anyone have any definite prices for doing this?
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:25   #8 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

The ignition barrel will wire up to the standard 6 pin in the car you just leave the smart lock wires disconnected.Use 2 shere bolts to fit the assembly then buy the lock and slide it in.

Cya Lukey

QLD REP 4 EA-ED club.
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech