Tip of the week! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2002, 06:19   #1 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

Thumbs up Tip of the week!

Some of you here will have polycarbonate headlight lens cover which are starting to go a bit yellow in colour. I assume this is from the harsh Aussie U.V. rays and have noticed it on quite a few Falcons and Festivas!

It has been bothering me for a while on my EF and I was resigned to the fact that I would have to buy complete new headlights which are about $240 each (?). Then I spied my trusty tube of Autosol metal polish on the shelf...

Guess what? The lenses came up beautifully after some elbow grease and look almost new! I had read that this stuff can be used to polish scratches out of plastic ie. sunglasses, instrument panel clear covers etc. as well as giving amazing results on dull metal.

I'm stoked: I just saved 500 bucks and the front end looks a lot better!

Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2002, 06:41   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

welcome to the board!

good tip there buddy, i found this out a couple months back, and lots of people have now gained a similar result with just plain ole meguairs polish.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 17:47   #3 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

i think that could also be caused by putting in globes that are too higher wattage.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 18:06   #4 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

The problem actualy comes from Bugs guts...The Polycarbonate they use is resistant to UV, but Polycarb is not that chemically resistant, and the acid in Bugs guts attacks the plastic and makes it go yellow.
This occurs on most first generation plastic lenses....Plastic grades were changed and coatings added to oversome the problem later.
Old 05-26-2002, 19:58   #5 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesmol
The problem actualy comes from Bugs guts...The Polycarbonate they use is resistant to UV, but Polycarb is not that chemically resistant, and the acid in Bugs guts attacks the plastic and makes it go yellow.
You learn something new every day off this forum, don't you? (An appropriately named icon)

Simon....
Old 05-26-2002, 20:45   #6 (permalink)

I was down at the local autobarn buying some new lights the other day, and the bloke i was chatting to said that there were types of globes that do interfere with the polycarbonate lenses.
He said that some globes with a high wattage, and the tint they put on some others can foul the lens.

I ended up buying the only ones that he recommended for the car (PHILLIPS), and at 65 bucks, the price wasnt too bad. (this includes driving and parker lights)

p.s. they are bright as f*ck!
marktx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 21:11   #7 (permalink)

Where did you get the Phillips Bulbs from ???
Just curious, cause I saw a Comaprison based in Germany, on different Bulbs, in terms of Light Lumens, Consumed Wattage, the area's where the light was cut off (Masking or something), etc etc, and it was found that Phillips was one of the Best Bulbs in the comparison !

(Funnily enuf, some of the Bulbs that I thought were good quality, were actually very poor in the comparo !)

So I have been looking around for some Phillips Bulbs, (Also want to replace the Motorbike ones whilst I am at it), but cant find anyone that stocks em ?

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 02:26   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Where did you get the Phillips Bulbs from ???
Just curious, cause I saw a Comaprison based in Germany, on different Bulbs, in terms of Light Lumens, Consumed Wattage, the area's where the light was cut off (Masking or something), etc etc, and it was found that Phillips was one of the Best Bulbs in the comparison !
Umm, I'm from melbourne, i picked em up at the autobarn in doncaster. I was at the autobarn in ringwood today and they stocked the lights too.

please excuse my ignorance, but I'm sure that there are autobarns in sydney, give em a call - for the el falcons they use the H1 12v55w globe. (ps they are piss easy to fit - as long as you dont touch the actual globe!)

hope that helps!
marktx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:27   #9 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

Meguiars eh? I didn't think of that. And I have about 15 different bottles of their products in the garage!! I had achieved good results very easily with the Autosol so gave it a shot.

In my case, it has been from plain old UV light. It doesn't have higher wattage globes (although I am using those Arctic blue globes, but it was happening long before those went in) and never has to my knowledge. Plus the yellowing is on the OUTSIDE of the lens!

As for the Philips globes, I'd never heard about them being any better than Bosch or Narva?

Cool. Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech