Torque Control Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2002, 02:04   #1 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Torque Control Questions

Hey guys.

I have a two questions about the EF/EL adjusting inlet manifold.

Firstly, does the manifold switch from long runners to short runners quickly(like an on/off mode), or is it a gradual open/close process.

Also, at what rpm does it switch from long to short?

Any information would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.
Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2002, 02:13   #2 (permalink)
Battens PerformanceTuning

Intake runner control,
The bible quotes:
In normal operation, below 3,800RPM the butterfly valvues are closed, causing the intake air to follow the longer path into the engine. At higher speeds, above 3,800RPM, the butterfly valves open allowing the intake air to follow a shorter path into the enging.
A vacuum actuator operates the butterfly valves. The PCM controls vacuum to the actuator via a solenoid valve. (I would say on and off)

Hope this helps.
EDxr8EBgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:20   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Wink

SPOT ON MATE!!!

Thanks heaps <:-)
Old 04-01-2002, 03:01   #4 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

The manifold goes to short path by default (ie. no vac applied) and when vacuum is ported to the actuator it pulls the BBM valves shaft round to long path (closes the butterflies). If you watch the BBM while someone starts the engine you'll see the actuator pull in and rotate the shaft.

The solenoid ("BBM Solenoid") is located behind the windscreen washer tank - ie. near where the cruise control vacuum pump is located in pre - EF cars.

I've got a BBM Solenoid and can send you a digital picture if you want.

I used to have a very good section from a book (not a Ford workshop manual) that very clearly described the system, showed the circuit diagram and also had BBM vs non-BBM power/torque curves. I'll try and get another copy (I need it myself to get my manifold switching up and running) - and could send a copy of that too if you like.

I haven't yet managed to get my manifold switching working, but I've variously run it at long and short path settings and it makes a VERY noticeable difference to bottom and top end respectively on my ED.

Oh, and as for how quick - it's not instantaneous but it's reasonably quick - to see how quick, get access to an EF/EL and with the engine NOT RUNNING turn the BBM shaft round by hand then let it go and see how it moves back to where it started - that's pretty much how quick it moves when operating.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 03:28   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

EDFUTURA, thanks for that additional info.

It would be great if you could hunt down that pic, as well as the BBM info. if it's not too much of a hassel.

This info would actually change my installation plans as I had began the design my own switching module, however, getting it off another car would save me some time.

I am also glad to hear that you have noticed a performance increase with it. Did you run the EL/F air box as well?

Thanks mate.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:39   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Bugger! I forgot to bring the digital camera home from work - I'll take the solenoid in tomorrow and get a picture. The diagrams etc. I should hopefully have next week - I'll let you know and we can organise fax or mail details.

I fitted the complete EF manifold setup - including ducts and airbox - a couple of years ago (took about 4 hours), but then have been really slack about getting the switching operational. Basically, I've been waiting until I move back to civilisation before getting real serious - at which time I'll also have a UniChip installed etc. (ie. because there aren't eec tuner maps for I6's yet).

Right from square one I've planned on using the original BBM Solenoid and an aftermarket rpm switch of some sort. Finding both of those things has been surprisingly difficult - I never did find a wrecker or dealer spares desk who knew what the hell a BBM Solenoid was and only finally got one when I found out myself exactly where it was located in the car and then could give
that info to a wrecker.

I've finally managed to find an rpm switch that I think will work at VPW (www.vpwmailorder.com). I haven't actually ordered one yet tho so don't know at this stage what extras will be required in the way of relays etc. or whether it will power the solenoid directly.

Another avenue I'm exploring is the possibility of getting an EL EEC5 - which it appears might be a straight plug in replacement for the ED EEC4 (as EL went back to Dizzy ignition) - that way it might be possible to tap into the BBM control line etc. - mind you, an aftermarket rpm switch would give the ability for adjustment of the switching point. I still don't know for sure about the compatibility of the EL ECU tho.
Old 04-02-2002, 17:11   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Next week will be fine dude, im still in the research stage anyhow.

The module I have planned would be able to trigger a relay to turn on a 12V solenoid. I'm am currently trying to decide on whether to make it adjustable for different rpm with an LCD display of the rpm(extra work).

It would be good if I could use the original solenoid for both cosmetic and reliability issues.

I'll be awaiting your reply!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks Heaps.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:07   #8 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Hi Con,

I think the EL EEC is a good bet. I can track one down for you if you like? Actually I may even be able to get you an (auto)XR6 EL EEC because it's likely I'll be doing a T-Bird 3.8 SC conversion to this car shortly.

Pete.
Old 04-03-2002, 16:30   #9 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Hi Pete,

I've dropped you a PM, but just in case something goes wrong and you don't get it - YES!!! I'm very interested.

I was going to get onto both yourself and Herrods next - as I've had no luck from Ford desks - so your help would be fantastic.

I'm back to running the std ECU again at this stage - the 160 speed limit on the EDX6 Ute one was just too low for highway use up here - the cutout is way too violent with the acceleration rate I've got at 160 (quite unpleasant when one nearly bang's one's face on the wheel halfway along a roadtrain). With the way the engine's going at the moment 180 is actually a bit tricky too, but I'm stuck with that until I do trans and driveline mods too (I'd behave myself and stay under 190 even with an EL XR6 ECU).
Old 04-15-2002, 01:55   #10 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Any Pics yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech