Totally Addicted to Bass - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 11:42   #1 (permalink)

Totally Addicted to Bass

Ok, so I was just sitting around in my room earlier this morning thinking about what I was gonna do with the rest of my day. Spending more money was out of the question because I am trying to save to have various mods done to my car.

Then the 2 channel amp sitting on my desk caught my attention. Hmm... maybe I could try swapping that with the 4 channel sitting in my boot. It's a little bit more powerful but it couldn't make that much of a difference, right...?

So I took it outside and wired it all up and fired the car up. Gee, it has made a bit of a difference, the subs are working really hard, cool I thought. Then I took a short drive with the music going, however the bass seemed to be worse than it was with the 4 channel wired up. Before it was barely noticeable, now it was completely unnoticeable. What the...? So I pulled in to a carpark and had a little play with the knobs on the amp and wondered "what's this boost knob do?" So I turned it up and... God damn, now I could notice the bass alright. Closed the boot and turned the music up again.

Incredible, I didn't know that subs so small could produce such bass, it's almost as good as my mates single 12" setup. The only problem I have with it is that the vibration from the boot nearly drowns out the music. Then I tried listening to some music with the back seats folded down and the rear vision mirror just goes stupid, it looks like it's about to come off!

Now all I need is for someone to install the new headunit, buy some decent speakers and I will be set :)

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2002, 11:57   #2 (permalink)
Is it cos i is black?

Onya Kenaz!

Good to hear you have sorted your bass problems out, sounds like a very good setup - will definitely have to hear it next meet!

You'll probably have to do some sound deadening in the boot - which should quieten it down a bit.

Congrats dude!

BlackEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:11   #3 (permalink)

Thanks BlackEB, I can't believe I didn't try it earlier.
The sound deadening I will definately have to look into, especially once it is all mounted properly and stuff.

At the moment it is just sitting on the floor of the boot with wires going in every direction. It is far from neat, so I will tidy it all up when I have some time on my hands.

Ash
Old 03-15-2002, 14:12   #4 (permalink)
rmyers1

silicon

Just use a tube of silicon and put it inbetween the frame of the boot and the boot lid itself. Worked for my boot.
Old 03-15-2002, 17:28   #5 (permalink)
goingSPAK

Inquiry

Just curious Kenaz as to wat setup you have in your ea, sounds pretty tough.....
Old 03-16-2002, 17:27   #6 (permalink)

Inquiry

Thanks rmyers, I'll give it a go because a mate and I determined that, that was the problem while listening to it last night.

The setup is far from tough actually Dan Rae, though it is about to get a whole lot better. At the moment I just have a single CD headunit (Ultravox - cheapo) and 4" Pioneer speakers in the doors (also cheap) and 6" speakers on the parcel shelf. The 2 Kicker 8" subs are in a sealed box and are powered by a Coustic 240 SE amp bridged to produce around 120 wrms...

Like I said it's not very flashy but I am really surprised at how good it sounds. Next week my new JVC KDSH-77R headunit will be installed and when it goes in I hope to have some decent 6X9s installed as well (bank balance permitting)

Ash
Old 03-16-2002, 21:03   #7 (permalink)
-

Re: Inquiry

well....

i WAS happy with my system, but today i cooked another sub. this time the rockford 12" ive had for about 2 months. not freakin happy. that thing made some serious noise, but i guess i pumped it a little TOO hard... HEH.

ill keep you posted on how i go with a warranty claim

Jason
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 11:43   #8 (permalink)
rmyers1

hehe

And I never got to here it! Are u going to get another?
Old 03-17-2002, 20:34   #9 (permalink)
-

Re: hehe

hehe
i got a $40 dominator sub from autobarn today... hehehehehehe what a joke. its yellow, weighs about 500g and smelt funny when i opened the box. it makes a suprising amount of noise but ive nearly cooked it already, even when trying to be nice to it! HEH!

im gonna try and get the punch fixed, but i dunno. when it first ****ed up it rattled when you tapped it, now it squeaks, and you can tell the coil is ****ed. so i dunno how ill go on a warranty claim...

ill keep you posted. cheers.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: hehe

Dominator rules!!!!

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech