Towbar removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2001, 10:36   #1 (permalink)
Mike

Towbar removal

G'day all.

Just wondering if anyone had removed the towbar on their beauty. The previous (and first) owner fitted one from the factory, but since I've sworn never to subject my precious clutch & box to these rigours, (they get it elsewhere!), it's not really a lot of use, and looks a bit ugly.

Anyhow, is it simply a matter of unbolting a few pieces and putting the "plug" piece into the bumper?

Cheers
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2001, 21:29   #2 (permalink)

Mike, id personally keep it there mainly for the reason that it protects the back of your car from other idiot drivers.
At least once at the traffic lights a car has rolled (very slowly) into the back of my Falcon and fortuanatly I had my towbar there so I came away undamaged.

Plus it also saved me once again when I was reverse parking, and heard 'DONG!!' (It was a metal guard-rail) and realised I had gone too far ;-)
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 06:44   #3 (permalink)
Mike

Yeah I know where you're coming from. I've had this happen myself, some ignorant idiot in a Land Rover decided that looking ahead while approaching a red light was unnecessary. He crept into the back of mine, luckily for him my towbar only took a liking to his number plate! Anyway, the driving conditions are pretty good up here in Tweed compared to Sydney, so I figure I don't need the defensive firepower that I did back there :)
Old 02-26-2001, 17:30   #4 (permalink)
Slim

Mike,

you know who this is.. don't ya? ex white ute :)
I have removed a heavy duty towbar from a EB and man bolts going everywhere. What I did on mine was just take off the end peice, with the two bolts. If you want to remove the whole bar for weight gains, you have to remove the rear bumper. no big deal, just lots of big bolts to undo.. better to have rattle gun. Also won't you have to get a cap to cover hole or even a new bumper?

Old 02-27-2001, 06:50   #5 (permalink)
Mike

Yeah I knew it was you Sammy :) Yeah just asked a guy today about it, apparently there'd be a few bolt holes to plug up, only if they allowed exhaust gases into the boot or something. Ordered a plug for the bumper, a princely sum of $11, but got to get it painted, so probably a bit on top of that. :(

Mike
Old 02-27-2001, 10:02   #6 (permalink)
Slim

if you can get those rubber plugs call me.
I have all different sizes at work, ones you are looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech