Transferring running gear in XDs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 05:48   #1 (permalink)

Transferring running gear in XDs

My XD needs paint (the body is straight, but the paint is soooo thin, or it's metal in places). My XD needs a new interior. My idea is to buy an XD 6 cylinder and transfer the fun bits (351c, 5spd, LSD, stereo) from my old XD into this new one.

Because my current XD is still running along reliably enough, I figure I have time to be choosey on the new XD I'm going to buy. If I find one cheap enough that has good paint and good interior (like I said, I've got a lot of time :) ), then I'll buy it.

The question is - Is there anything that the V8 has that can't just be straight away transferred to the 6?

As always, thanks for your trouble :).
-Truffles
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 21:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Transferring running gear in XDs

Is your XD a factory V8? If so, it may have shock tower braces bolted in through the engine bay, and the main harness is different to the 6. Plus the fuel line, powersteer pipes (if fitted) but these are a straight forward swap.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 22:11   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
Is your XD a factory V8? If so, it may have shock tower braces bolted in through the engine bay, and the main harness is different to the 6. Plus the fuel line, powersteer pipes (if fitted) but these are a straight forward swap.
Yep, it's a factory V8. So the straight forward swap is for the fuel lines and powersteering (which I don't have anyway), or also for the shock tower baces?

I don't know what the main harness is, but that sounds like something structural, which would be bad :(.

-Truffles
Old 06-11-2005, 00:56   #4 (permalink)

re "main harness is"

the electrical wiring harness in the engine bay. They are different between the 6 & V8 from the connector behind the firewall.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:09   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

A paint job maybe less hassle??? What condition is yours in body wise?? Other than paint ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:55   #6 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

Finding a straight XD with no rust is gonna be hard these days. Most that are in good nick are selling for $$$ cos they already have the 302/351 in them.

How bad is yours? I agree with getting it resprayed if the rust isnt bad.
81foXDwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 23:21   #7 (permalink)

If yours is a factory V8, I would be seriously looking at fixing it, instead of putting your gear into a 6, which, in my opinion, will never be worth as much.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:51   #8 (permalink)

Body wise it's not bad (minor dint in driver's door, looks like a shopping trolley ran into it, but only dinted, no scratch). I was going a new car because I keep getting carried away in getting things done right (and invariably screwing it up :) ).

I figured it'd be cheaper to buy a nice looking six than fix the paint AND the interior. I should have fixed the interior long ago, but that would have meant taking it off the road, as seeing as I could still sit in the car without hurting myself, I have never gotten around to that.

It's a factory 351, 4wd brakes, manual (although now it has a 5 spd). So far I've had 2 quotes to paint it, and both were 4K... I know some places that will do it cheaper, but honestly I don't trust them (once bitten, twice shy as the saying goes).

If you can suggest someone that would be cheaper and would do a good job (or would fix the job if I found faults in it) then I'll go to them for a quote.

Thanks,
-Truffles
Old 06-14-2005, 03:24   #9 (permalink)

Factory 351 manual. I would not be buying another car.....
Old 06-14-2005, 07:00   #10 (permalink)

I have just swapped a 351 into an XD six cylinder boday and haven't had too many dramas.

My tips are:

Don't forget to change the engine mounts that bolt onto the car itself (not the ones that bolt to the engine block)

Extractors are a bastard to bolt up.

Engine and box will lift in as one (ie bolted together)

New exhaust systems are expensive.

There is an indent where to cut out for your column shift to floor shift mod.

A six cylinder tailshaft from a Borg Warner auto will fit into a c4 auto (as long as you don't go from ute to sedan) but watch out for the little roller bearings in the uni joint that can fall out of place and make it not fit.

My wiring loom works for alternator,temp gauge and oil pressure (idiot light) but so far not speedo. But the lockout for only starting in park and neutral does work as well as my reversing lights. This is all morking with a six cylinder wiring loom.

My six cylinder battery starts my v8 (when I finally put on the proper battery connections)

You will want to buy or swap over your v8 starter solenoid/coil thingo.

A six cylinder throttle cable is not the same as a Holley v8 one and Repco charge the earth for one.

I think I have rattled on enough, good luck with either way. BUt I would probably go the 4K paint job as the change over would take ages, and I have put two scratches (one major) and two dints in my six cylinder body while installing the v8 and trailering to the muffler shop, installing engine, etc.......

Cheers,
Ray
raytriplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech