transmission computer. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2004, 07:40   #1 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

transmission computer.

hey all just a quick question and even though its not a ford im thinking it would be the same as a ford trans so i thought someone might know.
we are looking at this magna and in the add it says it needs a new transmission computer. would i be right in thinking that its basically the same kind of thing as a ford? like the computer fried (for whatever reason) and all i need to do is go get another computer and plug it into the loom? or are magna trans computers in the transmission?
what would be some reasons that it would need a new computer before i go ring this guy up?
it also says that engine and trans are good, just needs a new trans computer.
can anyone elaborate on this?
i also dont want to hear that magnas are shit and im wasting my money or whatever coz this is for my GF and this is what she wants. its also a pretty good buy and not one of those shitty TP magnas either.
thanks in advance and all help would be appreciated so we dont get told something from this guy and end up getting ripped off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 08:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: transmission computer.

need more info. the te's onwards had separate ecu's for the auto. what model is it? is it 4 or 6? whats the problem with the ecu?

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:37   #3 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

well thats just it. i havent yet rang the guy to find out why it needs it. it is a TR auto, engine unknown. thats all the info i have so far.
also if anyone knows of a website that details parts prices for magnas as well, that would be handy. there is another we are looking at which is a 6 cyl and has 330000ks on it with a loose timing chain, and have spoken to a mech about it and he said the chain isnt so much the problem ($600 to replace if it needs to be) its if it has worn out the oil pump ( $1200 to replace) so am thinking if we get this car to just chuck another engine in it but cant seem to find any prices on an engine from a wrecked magna. $600 from our friendly wrecker should see us another motor shouldnt it?
but anyway i dont understand why a computer would be needed. what could go wrong with it in general? what would make it stuff up?
basically we are looking for a later model car on the cheap and we both know that they arent going to be perfect which we can accept but we dont want to waste all our money on a bargain only to find its going to cost $2000+ to get back on the road.
Old 07-26-2004, 20:02   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

spoke to the guy today and found out it needs a new computer simply because he took it out to use on his other magna so the only reason it needs one is because it doesnt have one. dont need to worry about why it could be broken now.
can you still run the engine without a trans comp? dont want to drive it (duh) just want to hear it running.
Old 07-26-2004, 20:27   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Well if anything like the FORD trans computer then yes, with my one disconnected, as in full removed, car still starts and runs, reverse works, just is locked into 3rd gear for forward was all.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
MY GHIA

yeah it will work without it
when u get a new ecu make sure u get warranty with it !!!!!!!!! the trans computers on magna's are a VERY VERY big problem they sit under the heter box at the front of center concel ( not a easy job to get in and out ) they just short out and fry at any time mostly from a leaking cap have a look at the new one u get, pull the top off inside u will see a few Circuit boards that are standing up from the main board on the base ( they are only bout 10 cm long white on one side green on the outher ) well in middel of the boards standing up there is 2 or 3 caps there they are the prob most of the time just have a look to see if they are leaking black sh$t out next prob if corrosion from water leaking out of heaterbox .
good luck getting one that is good :) may get luccky i got about a box of 50 here that are all stuffed
Old 07-27-2004, 01:56   #7 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

enquired today at a melb wreckers on a price. well not cheap is all i can say. he said from $390-$500 for a secondhand one. he needs to know the VIN as well he said as there is about 3 different types just for that particular model. god knows why there would be that many but anyway.
off tomorrow to go pick it up so thatll be good. sounds really good too. the guy bought it coz he wanted the motoer for his magna so its got a good motor, but in the end it turned out he didnt need just the trans comp. only other things that are wrong is there is a shopping trolley type dent in the back bar and the tail lights have a couple of little cracks. thats about it. no rust, one or two small scratchs and a pretty good interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech