Ford Forums banner

Trouble starting car on hot days

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BLWNEB 
#1 ·
I have noticed that when i drive my car around on hot days, when i go to start it again, it takes alot more turns to start her up.
Its as though there isnt any fuel left in the car. You have to keep turning the ignition over and over and sometimes pump the accelerator pedal for her to fire up.
This only occurs on hot to very hot days after driving the car around. cold days, 1st click and shes off!!

Car is a EL XR8

anyone have simular trouble on these warmer days?

#2 ·
Thomas i've experienced exactly what you describe a couple of times with my 5L EF Fairmont and it's only on very hot days after driving that it happens as you say. I'm thinking it could just be the fuel lines get too close to the exhaust or something somewhere and the fuel dries up; then again i'm probably completely wrong :)

Doesn't seem to be any other adverse affects tho!

#3 ·
Exactly the same here (6cyl though) but it never happened in my EA.
I know with mine its running way to rich as theres a large plume of black smoke comes out of the exhaust once it kicks over.
Doesnt even have to be real hot to do it either, can be like cruising around on a 25degree day and itll do it when I go to re-start it.

#4 ·
PigDog said:
Thomas i've experienced exactly what you describe a couple of times with my 5L EF Fairmont and it's only on very hot days after driving that it happens as you say. I'm thinking it could just be the fuel lines get too close to the exhaust or something somewhere and the fuel dries up; then again i'm probably completely wrong :)

Doesn't seem to be any other adverse affects tho!
is a very strange problem indeed. as martin mentioned, sometimes when this happens, my car too gives off a little puff of black smoke as it eventually starts.
My mate has a simular problem with his I6 EL Falcon. but after 3 clicks shes starts up fine.

#5 ·
have you guys tried and measure the fuel pressure.

It happened to my friend father's car, the mechanic think it's the problem of the fuel pump, they replace the pump and no more problem.

If it happen again, try release one of the fuel line joints and see is there fuel coming. If it has fuel, try pull out one the the leads and see the spark.

Good luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.