Ford Forums banner

Trouble starting (only sometimes)

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  torana1 
#1 ·
I am not sure whether this topic has been covered before (I did a search and didn't find anything similar).

First of all my car is a 1994 ED Falcon GLi.

The trouble (only one at the moment; knock on wood) I have with my car is that sometimes it doesn't start when I turn the key. It simply does all the quick diagnostics on the dash and does nothing. I have only had this problem a few times but it always starts after a couple of tries. I have noticed that when it doesn't start, if I push the brake and pull/push the handbrake in it starts up as if it is triggered.

It happens whether the car has been driven, but also happens when it hasn't. It happens in all temperatures so far... But as I said, it's only happened probably... 10 times or so in about nine months.

Not sure whether all models when starting shows the "Brake Fail" light up when you first start the car or not. Could this be related?

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

-XRated

See less See more
#2 ·
Dam i just had the same problem with the XH UTE today. Wouldnt start in Park, some diagnostic crap came up on the dash. Thought it musnt have been in park but it was so i took it out of park and back in, tried to start it but it was the same! Wacked her in nutral, it starts. Drove off, stoped at the next delivery. When i went to start it again, Same :( Put it in nutral, started. Got back to HQ, stopped put it in park, tried to start, wouldnt start. Nutural, started. Turned engine off put it in park and it started!! I dont know how it works but i suspect theres a dodgy switch under the Gear leaver somewhere. Anyone else have any idea? It the work car so im not too fussed, the boss can pay for it if its somthin major.

#5 ·
If its auto its called an inhibiter switch.. [sp]

#9 ·
Bloody piece of %$#!

Would you believe that this morning the bloody car wouldn't start!? I had to use my dad's to get to work.

Got home and tried but it was the same story; the dash diagnostics light up but the engine just "clicks" and doesn't start. After looking at the battery everything seemed to be fine, tried again and it started. Went for a drive. Stopped the car. Tried starting it; same story; wouldn't start.

I am not much of a mechanic (okay, so I know jack-shit really) so I've called the RACV - will see what they have to say.

Note: The stereo & lights seem to work, however the smartlock fails to lock/unlock sometimes?? Maybe it's the smartlock module? Grrrrrr.

#10 ·
Fixed, and don't ask why (embarrassed)

This time it was the fricken battery terminals (I told you I am not good with mechanics).

Anyway, those other times (when it didn't start) I am 80% sure are unrelated to the battery...

Goes to show you, it can really be just looking you in the face and you don't even know it (if you're as stupid as me).

G
#12 ·
I agree with xrated, the smartlock module (which is above the handbrake) can give you trouble. The ignition barrel can sometimes have a faulty connetion to the smartlock. If it happens again turn the key to ignition on and check the number of times the smartlock light flashes. The number of flashes is the code of the fault. If it just stays on you haven't got a smartlock fault. call autoemf in qld.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.