Troubles! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 21:44   #1 (permalink)

Question Troubles!

I own a EA FALCON 5 SPD 3.9L right.
Its originally MPEFI, but ive put a EF intake manifold and thats when the troubles started.
Firstly, the rocker cover is leaking, i know why but that isnt the main concern.
Secondly, the idle is crap. Ive put the EF ISC on, but it revs to high so ive unplugged it, and it runs, but i know its not good. Ive got the EA TPS on so this maybe contributing to the high idle speed.
Thirdly, its running rich and guzzling the fuel. Again could be the TPS, but i dont know.
Also, after flogging the car on a paddock for about 5min, it suddenly stalled and had absolutly no guts to it whatsoever, for about 50-100m, at which point it returened to normal. Again, ive been told its pretty gutless or abnormal in normal road driving....
Ive just had a engine rebuild, and i think ive had a botch job, with an allsortment of noises coming from the engine such as ticking etc, also the oil has turned black rather quickly...

Also, after changing the diff, there is a clunking noise when bouncing the rear of the car...

ANY help will be appreciated!!! i want to get to the bottom of all these issues, before i go completely insane, and my bank account is totally raped of its money!!!

Thanks

Matt
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 22:15   #2 (permalink)

Clunk noise from rear end. Check that everything is tight and all bushes are accounted for. Shocks are still OK.

Care to explain the engine rebuild . What did you do?
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:09   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Maybe if your valve cover is leaking its lossing vacuum and throwing off your map..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:16   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

MAP takes vacuum from the intake manifold.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:20   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by mongrelEB
MAP takes vacuum from the intake manifold.
Exactly and where is the pvc connected????
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:37   #6 (permalink)

Matt,
A leaking valve cover on an EA - EF wont really have any effect on your MAP but it is important that you have it connected to a good source of vacuum.Your severe overfueling is a good example of a disconnected MAP sensor hose.Also when your vehicle runs extremely rich the catylitic converter may get a little pissed off and dump its guts blocking your exhaust(lack of power)
Old 05-06-2003, 02:39   #7 (permalink)

On the weekend i changed the Cat over with another 2nd hand one, that was as i was told in great nick. So i think ruling out the cat as the trouble is something.
Im pretty sure the MAP is plugged in.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
Old 05-10-2003, 23:06   #8 (permalink)

Update:

I have a feeling that the exhaust might be restricting the engine from power. Not sure though, but am replacing exhaust this week, so shall find out.
Its running a little bit better on the fuel now, dont know why but it is.
The idle still revs to high when the ISC is plugged in.

Also when ya start the car or satb the accelerator, it blows some grey/white/blue smoke, doesnt smell like fuel, and its a bit hard to tell the colour. When you stab the accel it blows a puff of smoke, then continues to blow it for 10sec, and will continue to do this every time ya stab the accelerator.
I just got an engine rebuild done, so things such as headgasket, etc i wouldnt think it would be, but as i said above, i think the mechanic has done a shit job. Also i have been told that he may have not replaced the head bolts due to lack of intelligence or basically just not knowing to replace them....

Matt
Old 05-11-2003, 00:42   #9 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

if he didnt replace the head bolts that will cause some dramas as they stretched and will bottom out before reaching the required torque

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:15   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AusCaRnAgEr
Update:

Also when ya start the car or satb the accelerator, it blows some grey/white/blue smoke, doesnt smell like fuel, and its a bit hard to tell the colour. When you stab the accel it blows a puff of smoke, then continues to blow it for 10sec, and will continue to do this every time ya stab the accelerator.
Matt
That sounds a lot like valve stem seals.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech