Turbo timers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2003, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Turbo timers

I'm going to ask this question here though it first came up in another forum.

There was a discussion about fitting turbo timers to modern cars ie. WRX and XR6T.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that in these days of intercoolers there would be no need to fit turbo timers as they are cooled all the time. Meaning that unless you are flogging your car you should be able to turn off the car without the turbo going through a cool down period like the days of the Nissan EXA and Cordia turbo.

Can anyone shed some light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

Re: Turbo timers

I believe xr6T's have a cooling down system for the turbos, so you do not need a turbo timer. and furthermore, who parks there car straight after giving your car a flogging anyway? Their a bunch of wank if you ask me
EF_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 21:10   #3 (permalink)

An intercooler does not cool down the turbo it is after the turbo and before the throttle body. Turbo timers help non-ball bearing turbos the most as these are the ones that tend to head up the most. The Oil cooled and ball bearing turbos dont tend to overheat.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 21:18   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

With latter model "water cooled" as well, it's not nessessary.. A wank if you ask me !!!Besides they are a hassle to wire around alarms etc...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 22:57   #5 (permalink)
spaced out

The idea of a turbo timer is let the oil cool down so it doesnt turn into a thick glue like substance, when turning of a car,thus blocking the oil galleriesand inturn stuffing your turbo, yes a FMIC does help but most people who wave a FMIC turn up the boost.
Anyway a turbo timer is ileagal, sort of you can not leave your car running while it is unattended, so if you take it easy for the last 5-10 mins of driving you should be able to turn the car off, without damaging the turbo.

Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 21:45   #6 (permalink)

Agreed, My Landrover manual does not even mention a cool down period although I dont make a practice of towing car trailers up big hills and switching the engine off.
The original turbos that were not watercooled and had sleeve bearings needed to cool down prior to being switched off as the oil left in the bearing would crystalise due to the high temperatures of the bearing housing on these turbos. When you started up the engine the next time there would be carbon in the bearing which could damage the bearing surfaces. As mentioned above it also caused the oil to go thick and gluggy in less extreme circumstances. So yes in most cases turbo timers are a bit of a wank as well as technically being illegal.

Regds,
tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 18:26   #7 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

What happens when you pull up at a service station ? Do you sit there at the bowser for 5 mins with the car running?

Seems a bit of a hassle to me.

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 19:40   #8 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
What happens when you pull up at a service station ? Do you sit there at the bowser for 5 mins with the car running?

Mate of mine had a Nissan EXA Turbo many years ago. He'd just leave it running and fill up.

It used to scare the willys out of me and everyone else filling their cars!
Old 12-10-2003, 21:21   #9 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

lol ! A little off topic, but a month or two ago, I was filling the car, a mate was inside the car (all doors etc closed), on the phone. Attendant ran out and was tapping on the glass trying to get him to hang up !?!?
Thought it was funny, if misguided . . .(sure had my mate wondering wtf was going on)
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 00:45   #10 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre

Again, who flogs the crap out of there car and then pulls up at a servo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech